• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I generate a TOC, LOC, and LOF in a FrameMaker 10 file without creating a separate file or a book?

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a small document that doesn't seem to warrant a book. Can I generate lists and their reference pages inside a FrameMaker file without creating another file that becomes a book?

I have tried embedding a standalone TOC but can't get it to work with references page to create ellipses that precede page numbers, or any other formatting.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get everything into a single file, you would have to create stand-alone files for the TOC, LOC and LOF and then create text insets of these within the FM10 document. Unless your requirement is to have these items flow consecutively together on the same page(s), you may as well create a book file, as it will be the same amount of work.

If you need to create dot leaders between the heading text and the page number, you need to do two things. First, using the Paragraph Designer create the appropriate tab stop for the TOC style. Second, insert a tab-character or \t on the TOC Reference Page in the corresponding TOC style between the <$paratext> and <$paranum> building blocks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: ...create stand-alone files for the TOC, LOC and LOF and then create text insets of these within the FM10 document.

Having considered this approach (but never used it) on various projects, my assumption has always been that it might require doing Update Book twice - once to regen the list file(s), and then again to update the inset(s) with the updated list(s). True, or false (and false works for me).

And for someone willing to upgrade, didn't a later version of FM get in-line list gen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

Actually using standalone files - not in a book, it's more work than having them in a book. You have to update each generated file individually using the Special Menu in FM2015 or Insert Menu in FM2017. No book is in use for this.

The last two versions of FM allow the creation of a mini-TOC of the file to be included within the same file, but unfortunately does not expand to other types of generated files (even though the mechanism is identical for other types - and yes it was requested to extend this in the pre-release program to cover the other file types).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis and Bob,

I gave you the wrong version of my software. I'm actually using FM12 (I still had FM10 as a shortcut on my desktop). Based on your replies, that doesn't seem to matter. I did not realize there was a FM17!

Since I need to retain redlined files in a separate folder from clean files, my thinking was that it would be easier to have one file for the document rather than a book with a bunch of files in it. My document is only 30 pages but the authors want a TOC, LOT and LOF in it. 

Arnis, by "create text inset" do you mean copy/paste or import the lists into a page? I had hoped to create a master page for each list and then use reference pages for each to format.

I think you're right that a book is easier all around.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To create a text inset, you use the File > Import > File and select the file (and flow if an FM document) that you want to import. You also can specify if you want the imported content to take on the formatting used in the current document or to maintain the original formatting as seen in the source file. Importing  by reference allows you to maintain a link to the external file that can be updated as the document content changes and you need to update the generated components (essentially the same as doing a book update, except yo have to update each generated file individually).

So a book file would be easier to manage all of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines