• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I make tables resize dynamically when converting to html5/app?

Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some documents in FrameMaker 2017 and I am experimenting with publishing them as html5/app. They contain tables though, and the tables do not resize dynamically to screen like the text does, when I do the conversion. This makes publishing to both print and html5 awkward because the tables look narrow in print but ok on the phone/tablet. Have I misunderstood something basic here?

Bjørn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

look at your html and at your css...which is controlling the width?

If css, then adjust as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for answering. Yes, I can fix this in the html version, but is there a method to make sure the tables are dynamic when made in FrameMaker?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure. You might need to write a script to remove the offending html.

Check with the Adobe engineering team to see what they say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for answering me so fast. Do you think it is possible to map the FrameMaker table tags with fixed widths in cm to custom css tags with dynamic widths in percent?

I just have the feeling there is something I have overlooked here. I can hardly be the first person who publishes to print and mobile and who does not want the table to look strange in the print version...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can output the tables in HTML5 without any width attributes, then the CSS should be pretty easy.

If you can't, then stripping the width attribute should be pretty simple with a script or utility. Then the CSS would apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have been running this "Publish as mobile/html5" around quite a bit now. My intention is to have some documents with table filling the width of an a4 page. These documents are to be published so they are viewable on a phone. That means publishing them as mobile html5 / app.

In order to make the table fit the narrow width of a phone, I have to create a custom css with altered width attributes for the tables.

In the publishing dialogue I am able to assign a custom css under Style mapping. Only thing is, though - it seems the feature does not work. Neither in FrameMaker 2015 or 2017. FrameMaker publishes the exact same css with or without an added custom css file.

Am I doing this entirely wrong or is the feature plainly broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might check with Adobe support on that one...I'm not certain of the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah - seems like I at my wits end on this one. Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried setting the table width to 100% in your CSS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you can make the tables change to a maximum width and make them open as wide as the window, if you change the the publish settings. The same area where you can assign the different formats for the output text, allows you to alter how the tables are displayed. I'd get the exact details, but FM would crash with the amount of stuff I have open right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines