• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I reference a step number and not include the period behind the step?

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be another no-brainer, but I'd like to create a cross-reference to a step number. The problem I'm encountering is when I want to reference, for instance, "step 14 and step 15." I can't seem to figure out how to exclude the period behind the first step so it looks like "step 14. and step 15." Anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks,

Leanna

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the X-ref definition from <$paranum> to <$paranumonly>.

Note that if the word step is part of the auto-number definition, it will also be gone from the X-ref. You can add it back in to the X-ref definition.

VMware Fusionss_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, that was my first attempt at getting it to do what I wanted, but the end punctuation remains because it's part of the step auto numbering, I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As is mine. You can see it in the dialog box above, and in this one, below:

VMware Fusionss_003.png

In my example, the auto-numbering is set to "Step <n+>. "

• <$paranum> will put all of it in the x-ref, including the work Step and the punctuation after the number.
  • <$paranumonly> filters out everything but the <n+>. (I added the word Step back in via the X-ref definition—scroll back up to my first post to see it.)

If this still isn't making sense, please share a screenshot of your auto-number properties and your cross reference dialog box, so that we can give you specific steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Leanna—did you get this worked out?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines