Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can "File Info" data be deleted?

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2013 Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Currently using FM11 and creating unstructured documents.  We make custom types of equipment and tend to start a new document from a previous version.  We'd like to delete the previous "File Info" data and update with current data for the new document.  We delete the "File Info" data and save the document, but when reopened, the data is still there.

Thanks you in advance,

WRB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

There is a maker.ini setting (CopyFileInfoOnImport) that controls whether or not imported Doc Info fields are copied over or not. This is not documented in the Maker.ini Reference Guide.

If you want the contents coming over from a template or another file, this needs to be explicitly added to the [Preferences] section as "CopyFileInfoOnImport=On". Likewise, if you don't want a template overwriting the already marked up meta-date. You need to explicitly set this to "Off".

Also, keep in mind that F

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a book, or a single FM document file?

If a book, make sure you delete file info in the Book dialog, and just for good measure, if leaving empty, also make sure all of the component files have no File Info. I haven't tested it, but it wouldn't surprise me if FM uses the first-found when building the PDFinfo.

In our release process, we routinely process the PDFs in Acrobat Pro, Examine Document, and let it remove (only) Metadata and File Attachements (since it's buggy on everthing else). Removing Metadata deletes almost all of the PDFInfo (FM File Info).

We end up pasting the desired values back in, so that search engines can find our stuff. Some search engines may only index PDFinfo, either because that's all they do, or because that may be the only plaintext available if you have certain security settings.

I suspect Google indexes everything, as long as it can open the PDF at all, even if it needs to OCR the whole thing.

Attention Authors: on the Windows platform, your user/login name is often written to the PDFinfo by default. This is either a benefit or a hazard. If it's a benefit, it's not my problem .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we found we can control the "File Info" as you mentioned when creating books. We only fix the initial document as our books tend to contain over 100 indivdual documents.

However, many times we need to send out individual documents.  We send out in PDF format after "sanitizing" them in Adobe Acrobat.

We'd like to try and contain this at the FM level for the individual documents.

Thank you for your advice.

WRB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very quick test seems to show that with FM10 you can copy what you've set with File ⇨ Info between .fm files – File ⇨ Import ⇨ Formats ⇨ Document properties. It even seems to be a "destructive copy": a field with no value in the source document overwrites a field with another value in the target. HTH in FM11.

Fringes of the thread, so to speak – I don't have anything in the file info the customer mustn't see. The reason I try to keep an eye on it is a tendency to start docset B by copying and renaming something from docset A, then updating a handful of user variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I couldn't get the information deleted by just importing "Document Properties".  However, when I added an alphanumeric character to each "File Info" category window and then imported with all import option items selected, it worked. The alphanumeric character got imported, but at least the customer specific information (confidential) was removed. It's a method that definitely works for us.

Thanks again,

WRB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a maker.ini setting (CopyFileInfoOnImport) that controls whether or not imported Doc Info fields are copied over or not. This is not documented in the Maker.ini Reference Guide.

If you want the contents coming over from a template or another file, this needs to be explicitly added to the [Preferences] section as "CopyFileInfoOnImport=On". Likewise, if you don't want a template overwriting the already marked up meta-date. You need to explicitly set this to "Off".

Also, keep in mind that FM "merges" content when you import formats, i.e. if the item exists in both files, it gets replaced, otherwise it is left alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Needed to add the setting to the maker.ini file, it didn't exist.  It works great.

Thank you,

WRB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis,

I'm working with Frame 11 on Windows 7 and I've having the same trouble. I tried adding CopyFileInfoOnImport=On to the maker.ini file in Users > username > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > FrameMaker > 11. I reopened Frame, opened my template (which has the File Info I'm trying to get rid of), deleted it, and hit Set. Then I saved as  new file name. After that, I did File > Import > Formats and imported the blank file info (Title and Author) into my new file. Saved, but then when reopened the file, it's there again! This is driving me crazy. What am I doing wrong?

Gail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gail,

You are running into the same problem I had and why I started the post. The template you are importing from has to be clean (i.e. NO information in the “File Info” area or only the information you want imported to your new working file). The template you are importing from cannot be made by doing a “save as” from a file the originally had “File Info” data in it.

Hope this helps,

WRB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! I didn’t think to try starting with a blank document, then importing everything BUT Doc Properties. That did the trick! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

Gail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The way I read WRB's original question, the answer is https://forums.adobe.com/message/8643146#8643146.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines