Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't edit styles in .sts

Explorer ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all.

I am using FrameMaker 13 in a Windows 10 environment.

All of our user guides use a common template. We output to PDF and .chm. A .sts file from one project contains useful settings for any other project using the same template, so I recently copied

Product A_settings.sts

to the directory for Product B, and renamed it

Product B_settings.sts.

I then opened Project B_settings.sts and discovered that, sure enough, certain conversion settings were not carried over from Project A_settings.sts to Project B_settings.sts, specifically the switch from right-alignment to left-alignment for our H1 and H2 styles. I've come across this before: it's unclear what settings are successfully stored and transferred when you copy an .sts file from one project to another.

Resigned to having to redo these settings, I selected H1 and attempted to edit it:

sts file editing.png

I clicked Edit Style, but nothing happens.

This has happened in the past. Why is the function disabled and how can I get it to work?

Thanks.

--Nancy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried:

1. Open Project A_Settings.sts

2. Verify that it works, can be edited, and saves as it should.

3. Click the Save As button to save it aProject B_Settings.sts in a different folder.

4. Close everything and then open a Project B and then see if Project B_Settings.sts works, can be edited, and saves as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

H, Doug.

Thanks for the suggestion. In following up on it, I discovered that the .sts file I copied to a new directory also can't be edited. It has been a while since there has been a need to edit it.

This goes to the mysterious flakiness of the .sts file. A friend of mine noted that my version of FM is "antique," which I readily acknowledge. Maybe this problem has been solved in later versions. I used a workaround employing a template, which solves most of my problems.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines