• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't generate TOC for book

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried everything, it simply refuses to do so!

It's a nine chapter book, easily generates index, but the TOC is weird, as it will not read either Chapter number or Chapter title. At most it will incorporate a single kine or two. For example a heading "Bibliography" and another text line from somewhere else! I believe something is corrupted in my FM12 which used to produce TOCs well. Is there any way to check this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

You've probably done this already, but the first thing I check when a ToC doesn't look the way I expect is the "Setup up table of contents" pane – all too easy for me to click on a heading rather than double-clicking :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've probably done this already, but the first thing I check when a ToC doesn't look the way I expect is the "Setup up table of contents" pane – all too easy for me to click on a heading rather than double-clicking :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, thanks for answearing FieryPantone!

However, it didn't work. I tried your double clicking, single clicking, and the arrows. A bare line was produced from a "Chapter name" (equivalent to a Heading2).

I still think it's a FM12 corruption. For example, when I was using Heading1 and Heading 2, from which I eliminated: Characters designer, commands, delete format, new format, to leave only Chapter number and chapter name; despite only these two remaining visible, FM12 kept on intruding with Heading1 and Heading2!!!

In other words: even after eliminating from the registry, they were somehow kept on registry. This is part of what I describe as weird.

As a next step I've uninstalled FM12, and reinstalled it. As the problem remains without change, I think the files may be the guilty ones.

However, I can detect no flaw in the files!

What other possibility is there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try MIF-washing your files and trying to generate a new TOC from scratch after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2015 Nov 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Congratulaitions to you all and sincere thanks. MIF washing was necessary, and double clicking finished the job (worked like Magic)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines