• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open *.fm or *.book files using double-click in Windows Explorer

Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started when I upgraded to FM 2019, Update 2. Before it worked fine.

If I use Windows Explorer (Win 7) or File Explorer (Win 10) and double-click on a .fm or .book file, nothing happens. If Frame is closed, it doesn't open. If Frame is running, the document or book doesn't open. The file association is set correctly. I have checked other file formats, and all of them open in the designated default programs, including Adobe, Photoshop, Visio, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Notepad++.

If I right-click on the file or book and choose open with Frame 2019, it opens. I can, of course, open from within the program. This is a loss of convenience more than a hard stop, but it's very odd.

In addition, the problem I was having with the character palette has modified since the upgrade to Win 10. When running FM2019 Update 2 under Win 7, I couldn't open it or the Hex Input at all. Since the upgrade to Win10, I can open both, but each close within about 20 seconds or maybe less. Deleting the preferences folder appears to reset things for a short time, but I don't have the time to re-set up my environment every few days.

All the display drivers are up to date.

This seems to be peculiar to my system. My coworker is running Windows 10 and Frame 2019, update 2, and is having no issues with this. Our corporate technical support team has tried everything it knows but suggest that it's time to consult Adobe.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem seems to be intermittent. This morning I've had both:

• Double-clicking on a file when Frame is open doesn't open the file
  • Double-clicking on a file when Frame is open DOES open the file
  • Double-clicking on a file when Frame is closed always starts Frame and opens the file

It's beyond me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol - I learned long ago not to trust Windows' choices for associated applications - I'll either right-click and "Open With.." or fire up the desired application first and open the desired file within it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, except the Open With ALSO doesn't work if the double-click isn't working.

Weird, huh?

It's more of a nuisance than anything else, but it's an irritating nuisance. And it only happens with FrameMaker 2019. I can open every other file type with a double-click every time, but with Frame, it's a sometime thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had a similar problem with another application some weeks ago.

The solution was to check the default apps in the system control.

There go to Apps and there to Default Apps.

For me it did not suffice to check the apps in the Open With menu

in the context menu and set the default app there.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They're set up correctly there, too. It's a real puzzler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines