• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you control the initial page width of HTML5 help?

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all.

I am creating HTML5 help from FrameMaker 2015, and I would like to set the initial page width to 4 inches. I've looked at editing the Layout and creating an HTML page template, and so far I haven't found a control to do this.

Does anyone know of a way?

Thanks.

--Nancy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if FM2015 exposed that control, I suspect that you would need to specify either a number of pixels or a percentage of the screen because, after all, how is it going to know that it's being opened for the first time on a screen that's bigger than 4 inches?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking that it's irrelevant whether the screen is 4" wide or 24" wide. I only want to set the max initial opening size. People can then open it wider if they like.

If I'm not understanding you, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're creating Responsive HTML5 output - it's going to detect what size of screen the HTML is being displayed on and resize itself accordingly. If you set the initial size to 4 inches & I view it on a phone that's only 2 inches across, it's not going to be able to to set itself to 4 inches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. I don't want that opening size to be rigid across all screen widths.

If the screen is, say, 8 inches wide, or wider, I want the help window to be 4" wide upon opening. However, if the screen is smaller, then I want the regular responsive sizing to take effect.

It seems like the layout is the place to control this, right? I mean, when I first open index.html in a browser, the browser window does not open to cover the entire desktop. The width of the browser window must be set somewhere, maybe as a percentage of the width of the desktop. I wonder if that control can be set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I suspect that you would need to code that yourself in the HTML Page Template and css to be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines