• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Compare FrameMaker - "...contains multiple flows with the same name."

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I cannot compare FM between file old and new by FrameMaker 2019 there are have info message below.

image.png

Please help me, Thank.

Charl.s

TOPICS
Content migration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Hi Charl:

Yes, I just found your file—it was in my spam folder. The issue is what I guessed in my first answer. 

Specifically, pages 280–283 of both files are using Flow A, and then pages 284–304 are using a disconnected second occurence of Flow A. You have two Flow A tags in each file.

To repair this:

1. Open a copy of ENnew__sec_04-05.fm. (Don't work on the original in case something goes wrong—work on a copy.)
  2. Click in the text on page 284.
  3. Edit > Select All in Flow (this selects the cont

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to tell without seeing your document. Try this if it is appropriate (on a copy):

1) Select all of the text in the document's main text flow (Control+A).

2) Cut the content to the clipboard (Control+C).

3) Delete all of the body pages in the document. You will now be viewing the master pages.

4) Add a body page to the document.

5) Paste the clipboard text into the first body page (Control+V).

6) Save the document and try the compare again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to compare 2 FM docs both converted to FM2019 or are you attempting a compare of an older version doc & a new FM2019-converted one? You used the "content migration" tag, so I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you are trying to compare... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charls:

Or someone didn't quite understand how flow tags work, and there are disconnected frames in the document using the Flow A tag. If this is the case, when you follow frameexpert's first two steps, there will frames with content on some of the body pages. If this is the case, you will need to connect them using Format > Customize layout.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you may have to ultimately use Barb's solution. My steps are kind of a fact-finding mission to see where the problem may lie. That is why you should run it on a copy of your document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for confuse, I don't know tag appropriate for this case.

My method is compare file FM old content and new content by function "Document Compare" but cannot done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. We understand the question, but since we can't see your file, you will have to figure out why the compare docs isn't working. I'm guessing one of the files has one or more disconnected frames that are assigned Flow A. Please start by following the first two steps that frameexpert listed, and look for disconnected frames. If there aren't any, continue through his list.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"1) Select all of the text in the document's main text flow (Control+A)."

Can you please let me more detail about "document's main text flow" where is it? It mean body page or not? Thank.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BarbBinder, Can i send sample file to you?

Charl.s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically, any text on a body page is part of the main flow. Click in the text and look in the lower right-hand corner of the document window. It would normally say "Flow: A", which in most documents, is the main flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Charls. You can attach a file to your response (public) or email it to me directly (private) at barb [at] rockymountaintraining.com. Substitute an @ sign for [at]. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Sorry for very late reply, I still try to solve the problem this issue

And I have send simple file to you via mail "barb@rockymountaintraining.com"

Did you receive mail from me? Thank you.

Regards,

Charl.s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charl:

Yes, I just found your file—it was in my spam folder. The issue is what I guessed in my first answer. 

Specifically, pages 280–283 of both files are using Flow A, and then pages 284–304 are using a disconnected second occurence of Flow A. You have two Flow A tags in each file.

To repair this:

1. Open a copy of ENnew__sec_04-05.fm. (Don't work on the original in case something goes wrong—work on a copy.)
  2. Click in the text on page 284.
  3. Edit > Select All in Flow (this selects the content on pages 284–304)
  4. Edit > Cut
  5. Use Format > Document > Delete Pages to remove pages 284–304.
  6. Click at the end of the text on page 283 and use Edit > Paste to paste the text you cut in step 4 back into the file. 
  7. Review each page to make sure everything is there, and correctly formatted.
  8. Repeat steps 2–8 for ENold__sec_04-05.fm.

Once all of the content is back in a single flow for both documents, Document Compare should work as expected.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Great it work!! Thank you so much for your help, I can fixed as your step already.
Can you please let me know, How to know Flow A disconnected on which page? Thank you.

Kind Regarsd,
Charl.s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charl: Since I was't there when it happened, I can again only guess. My guess is that someone got to the 4th page in the document and wanted to add more content. Instead of typing, importing or pasting the content at the bottom of the 4th page, they instead inserted a disconnected page. It is very rare that one needs to add a disconnected page—instead, just add content. FrameMaker will automatically add the pages for you to hold the new content.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Barb,

Thank you very much for your take care and suggest.

Thanks.

Charl.s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines