Highlighted

Cannot keep Character Palette or Hex Input open

Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked a similar question about a month or two back, and I had originally thought that using Matt's trick of renaming the preferences folder had solved the issue.

I was wrong. It solved it temporarily, for the first use, and then it went back to misbehaving. I've repeated the cycle several times with the same result.

I've put in a bug for this, but I'm also curious if anyone else is having the same issue. Basically, if I open either the Hex Input or the Character Palette, the windows close themselves in about 10 seconds (maybe less, not using a stopwatch!). Since the Character Palette always opens on the Courier font, I generally don't even have time to scroll down to the font I'm using (Source Sans Pro, for the record) before the palette window closes. The Hex Input window usually closes before I finish typing in the 4-character code and doesn't insert anything when it does, even if I've managed to finish the code.

Anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cannot keep Character Palette or Hex Input open

Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked a similar question about a month or two back, and I had originally thought that using Matt's trick of renaming the preferences folder had solved the issue.

I was wrong. It solved it temporarily, for the first use, and then it went back to misbehaving. I've repeated the cycle several times with the same result.

I've put in a bug for this, but I'm also curious if anyone else is having the same issue. Basically, if I open either the Hex Input or the Character Palette, the windows close themselves in about 10 seconds (maybe less, not using a stopwatch!). Since the Character Palette always opens on the Courier font, I generally don't even have time to scroll down to the font I'm using (Source Sans Pro, for the record) before the palette window closes. The Hex Input window usually closes before I finish typing in the 4-character code and doesn't insert anything when it does, even if I've managed to finish the code.

Anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 01, 2019 0
Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lin,

I do not notice this issue (FM 2019: 15.0.3.603).

The two dialogs are open as long as I do not click in the document window.

However, when I open one of the dialogs I get a message that one of my installed FrameScript scripts had to be aborted. (I have FrameScript and the i-frame package installed: http://www.i-frame.itl.info/en/feature-description/)

Still the Hex Input and the Character Palette work.

In your bug report you also list a long number of plug-ins. Maybe one of them interferes with these palettes.

Apart from that I prefer babelmap.

Best regards

Winfried

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2019 1
Participant ,
Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that the Hex Input doesn't like the keypad.  I can enter numbers only using the row of number keys across the top of my keyboard. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2019 0
Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried – it's possible they might, which is why I included the list. On the other hand, most of them have been around for literally decades, so it seems odd that they'd suddenly be having that sort of effect. Could just be that I am, as usual, "special" in some way. I'm actually wondering if it has something to do with the workspace I set up, since when I rename the preferences folder they both work until FrameMaker creates and populates a new folder.

doug1120, yes, I noticed that, too!

It's not a crippling problem, obviously, since the Windows Character Map pretty much fills the same functions (and is easier to read and you can search for characters with it), but it's annoying to have to go outside the program to do something. Still, I'm setting up variables for the glyphs I do use, so it won't remain an issue forever.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2019 0
Participant ,
Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem sounds like one that could be fixed by a complete uninstall/reinstall.  But I'm sure you don't want to use that nuclear option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just moving my mouse makes the palette disappear. Cannot even select a symbol from the detault Courier. Using v14.0.2.425 (2017). We will upgrade to 2019 (looking forward to getting the color toolbar back) within the next couple of months and hope we do not run into the same disappearing palette situation .

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2019 1
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to know it's not just me. I was beginning to feel entirely too special in this regard.

I have bad news for you, though. Both the Character Palatte and the Hex Input worked fine for me in the 32-bit FM2017. It wasn't until I installed the 64-bit FM2019 that I started having issues. May you have better luck than I have had!

(Sidenote: Character Map works fine, and I've also installed Klaus Daube's Insert Special Symbol tool, which is a dandy little plugin that handles FM-coded characters and Unicoded characters.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thanks for the head's up on FM2019. I appreciate the tip on using Character Map. Don't know why that did not occur to me ;-\ but that shall now be my go-to.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2019 0
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, but be aware that I am apparently an outlier. Most people do not have this issue with any version of FM. You might not in 2019.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2019 0