• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Lock File. Can't save or edit. HELP! Using Framemaker 2017

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a book and have a 2 page appendix that I'm now unable to edit or save. It states "Cannot lock this file for your use. Your changes to it may conflict with other users.

I can't save any edits or save as under another name. There are no .lck files on computer. All files are on local disk.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 1.07.27 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running FM on a VM on Mac (just asking because of the \\Mac\... path? Maybe there is something blocked there?

Can you duplicate the file in the file system and open this copy directly in FM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Framemaker 2017 on Windows 8.1 under Parallels 13. It has no problem saving all the other files in the book. It's just this specific file that seems to be locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there already a lock on the file? Usually you'd get a message about it being locked & an invite to clear the lock on the file. Have a look for any .lck files in your folders when FM is closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Framemaker closed I did full search for .lck files. None found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check the file's permissions? Maybe it got set to read-only..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that your Aero UAV directory is set to share under Parallels.

I use vmware Fusion, and can get this error if the file exists in a directory that is not writable to Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This message appeared to me, as well. I believe it was caused by me changing - and lengthening - one of the folders in the directory path. I shortened the folder name; the message no longer appears; and I appear to be able to work as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. That worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines