Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot resize floating document window

Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default, Framemaker opens documents as tabs. With Framemaker 2017 (FM 14.0.3.500), when I drag a document tab out of a tab group into into a floating window, the new window is always opened very small (approx. 300 by 250 pixels), and, making things worse, resizing the window is not possible. Also the commands Fit Window To Page and Fit Window To Text Frame are not functioning, which, in effect, makes the floating window unusable.

On the same machine, I do not see this problem with Framemaker 10 or other programs providing similar functionality so I think that this is not a Windows problem but specific to Frame 17. Uninstalling and reinstalling Frame did not resolve the issue.

Any ideas on how to fix this annyoing behavior are highly appreciated. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this new with the latest Fm 2017 patch? I'm one patch back on 2017 and couldn't replicate it, but I'm thinking I should wait on your answer before upgrading to 14.0.3.500.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about the exact time when this occurred first, but I suspected this patch as well. Therefore, I uninstalled Frame (including the preferences) and reinstalled the original unpatched Frame version, but experienced the same strange behavior with that as well.  Also, a colleague of mine has the same setup (FM 14.0.3.500 on Win 7) and on his machine floating Framemaker windows open normally and are resizable.  So I do not think that the latest patch is the reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you for sharing that information. Have you reported the new behavior here?

Tracker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope someone from Adobe will weigh in on this thread, but this is not a new bug. It has existed in FM2017 since the prerelease, but is system-dependent. I don't know if the monitor in use is the issue. Does your colleague who is not having this problem have the same minor(s) that you do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this seems to be a bug in FM 2017. I tried to file a bug report, but  the Bug Tracker returns a 'Bug Submission Failed' message...argh.

I will check with my colleague what graphics card and monitors he is using. Thanks, Barb and Lynne, for your input. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the fifth try or so, I could file the bug: FRMAKER-3687

Now I wonder what will happen, if anything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked into this. Do you have a high-dpi screen with Windows Display Scaling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stefan,

While I am not the original poster on this thread, I am another user with the same problem. I do have a high-res monitor and I have had to set custom scaling to use earlier versions of FM on this machine.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No high-dpi display here, but 2 monitors with a resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels:  'Intel HD Graphics' graphics card and two 'PnP​-Monitor (Standard)' according to the Windows device manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reviving an old thread, as I could now reproduce this behavior on two computers. Apparently this happens if the Windows default zoom is set to a value other than 100% (125% in my case). So, others running into the same problem may check the setting on their machine in Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display. Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same issue a few days ago. My floating FM document window was sized just fine, but then, as I was dragging around disconnected pallets and/or pods, my document window suddenly resized itself to something too small to use. The right and bottom borders disappeared, and any attempts at resizing it using the top or left borders simply moved the miniature window around the screen instead.

The only ways to get the document window back to something usable is to drop it back in the main FM window or to maximize it to fit the monitor that it's on. I had the Windows zoom at 125%, but I set it back to 100 yesterday, and so far, nothing has changed. I haven't tried restarting my computer yet, just FM, so maybe that will eventually do the trick. There definitely was a connection between me moving around disconnected items on a second monitor that triggered this issue.

I'm on a new HP laptop as of ten days ago, running Windows 10 with three HP monitors--two 24 inch and one 23 inch. All of the monitors were set to the recommended resolution according to the display settings in Windows (two at 1920x1200 and one at 1920x1080) and were set to scale to 125%. I'm not thrilled that I may have to leave my computer set to 100% instead of 125%. That was a nice feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

According to the Adobe Bugtracker this has been fixed in Build 15.0.0.231. Not sure to which Framemaker version this refers to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines