Highlighted

cant get framemaker to install in windows 10

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded to windows 10 and I cannot get my framemaker 7.1 to install, is there a fix for this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

cant get framemaker to install in windows 10

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded to windows 10 and I cannot get my framemaker 7.1 to install, is there a fix for this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 20, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Framemaker 7.1 is not tested with Windows 10. You should move to the latest version of Framemaker i.e. is 2015. Please see the system requirements of FM 2015 here-

FrameMaker System Requirements

Regards,

Ajit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no fix for a version that old, but you may be able to run it by rigging up a virtual machine that runs an old copy of XP and try installing into that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 25, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some idea about what's involved in running FM7 in a VM, here's a step-by-step for FM7.0 on Windows 7 Pro/64 in XP Mode.

I'll move to a newer FM (on Win7) if I'm ever using it for revenue-generating activities again (assuming that vintage of FM supports Win7).

When Win7 itself goes off support life, I'm moving my desktop to Linux. If Adobe wants to stay in business, they either need to port all the apps to a platform with a future, or provide a way to run them in the cloud. Microsoft has very nearly killed the desktop, and seriously maimed the laptop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2016 0
New Here ,
May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure Skype isn't running.

My guess is your issue was the same as mine, you launch the install and then nothing happens. If you go into task manager you should see "setup.exe" on the details tab. Right click it and select "Analyze wait chain" and it will show you a list of processes that are holding it up. In my case it was skype.exe (I have NO idea why). You can end those tasks right from that wait chain window too by checking the boxes for everything but "setup.exe" and click End Task at the bottom. Once those tasks end, the setup should just start running like normal.

Other than that, it runs flawlessly in Windows 10. I even have less issues than in Windows 7 (it would bug out on me sometimes and I would have to task kill dwm.exe just to unfreeze it. That was also a good reminder for me to click SAVE!).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2016 0