• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change Page Size?

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 25 x 19.5" size document, and I'm attempting to scale down the width to 10" (to 10 x 19.5"), but every time I do, I receive the "Resulting columns would be too narrow" error below:

I'm sure I need to adjust column layout settings, but I don't know what I need to do to get the desired result.  The document is two pages, with page 2 being the backside of page 1:

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Hi MattW:

It's hard to see the details because you are so zoomed out—is your layout two equal columns with a side head or do you have three connected frames on the master, or something else altogether?

I agree with Matt that you need to address the frame sizes prior to changing the paper size, but I suspect you will get an error message at that point too. I'd suggest resizing the anchored frames and tables on the body pages first, then the master page frames and then you will be able to resize th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you resized all the frames on your master pages and reference pages?

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that Monday and respond.  Thank you for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MattW:

It's hard to see the details because you are so zoomed out—is your layout two equal columns with a side head or do you have three connected frames on the master, or something else altogether?

I agree with Matt that you need to address the frame sizes prior to changing the paper size, but I suspect you will get an error message at that point too. I'd suggest resizing the anchored frames and tables on the body pages first, then the master page frames and then you will be able to resize the page.

I think it would be quicker just to create a new file with the correct page and column specifications, copy the content over, and import any formats that you need (not page layout) via File > Import > Formats.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Matt and Barb!  I created a new document with the required sizes, but had another question... Since I can adjust the outer anchored frame in the body pages, what does the the same frame do in the master page view?  I know I have to adjust the footer in the master page to get the results on the body page, but how does the main frame act differently in the master page view opposed to the body page view?  Also, should I keep or remove the overrides when making changes?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi MattW:

When you change the frames on the master pages, you are changing them for the entire flow, but if you change frames on the body pages you are overriding the master page frames for that specific page. That's why you are seeing messages about removing overrides when you move from a master back to a body page.

I'm a "no overrides" girl, and I drill that in when I'm teaching FrameMaker. There are exceptions to every rule in FrameMaker, but generally speaking, make your frame adjustments on the master pages, and pick Remove Overrides when you get the message there, or anywhere else.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines