• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change Template location

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking to build an "office template pool" for FrameMaker and want to ensure that all of our writers are using the same templates for our document creation. I was wondering if there was a way to change the default template location of FrameMaker so that I can add the templates into a share so that when a writer creates a new document they are using the most current template?

TOPICS
FAQ , Formatting and numbering , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Where can I find the Maker.ini file within the Adobe FrameMaker file structure?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - just had to find it - it's a line in the Maker.ini - TemplateDir= line - set it to your desired path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find the Maker.ini file within the Adobe FrameMaker file structure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dustin,

Before you make any changes:

Make a backup copy of your maker.ini.

Close FrameMaker.

There are two maker.ini files:

One with all settings in the FrameMaker installation folder. You should not change this yourself.

And another one in your user folder:

c:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\16\maker.ini

This file has all changes compared to the other maker. ini. Here you can change something and add settings.

When you do not see this AppData folder, then you must change this in Windows Explorer (or in your favourite file manager). In the View menu click Options and then open the View menu. (My Windows is German. Therefore it could be that the exact names are different.) There is an option Hidden files and folders. Select Show hidden files and folders.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Continuing answer, If you are using  Fm2019 or higher version and you want the template for output pdf then you can directly import it into your settings file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dustin,

When your template has any referenced graphics on one of the reference or master pages, then the path will always point to this folder. When you create a new file with this template and save it elsewhere, the path will not change.

This can be annoying, when the graphics path for your other graphics changes and graphics cannot be found, you always have to select both graphics paths.

Therefore I always copy the template files into a new folder and just start working from this folder.

Best regards

Winfried

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a great use case for ExtendScript! A very simple script could activate on FM startup, check dates on whatever files, and copy any that are newer to whatever directory. And it could tell the user what it copied... still a very simple operation.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines