Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change text in cross reference.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks:

I would like to insert a cross reference "access groups" for a source "Access Groups". I can find any building block or any other method for doing this. Can anyone help?

Jonathan Bloemker

Compunetix, Inc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

bloemker: I can find any building block or any other method for doing this.

It sounds like what you want is what has been on the FM wishlist for a very long time: "spot cross reference", basically an Xref definition of $MarkerText, which does not today exist.

If so, and you have a very small number of these, you can accomplish this by spinning off a new Xref Marker type:
With the undesired Xref selected, and the Cross-Reference pod handy, click
[Edit]
revise to:
Name: [¢access groups]
Def: [access gr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bloemker: I can find any building block or any other method for doing this.

It sounds like what you want is what has been on the FM wishlist for a very long time: "spot cross reference", basically an Xref definition of $MarkerText, which does not today exist.

If so, and you have a very small number of these, you can accomplish this by spinning off a new Xref Marker type:
With the undesired Xref selected, and the Cross-Reference pod handy, click
[Edit]
revise to:
Name: [¢access groups]
Def: [access groups] {the literal text you want}
[Add]
[Done]
[Replace]

The point of the arbitrarily-selected Â¢ for custom in the Name is to float all your spot Xrefs down to the bottom of the catalog.

There are other ways of doing this that are a bit more elegant. Reportedly, in Structured mode, you can use Elements to do it.

In Unstructured mode, you can use hidden text frames at the target, that contain the literal text of the needed variations of the source text desired. I'm using these extensively in a current project, in Text Frames, in invisible Anchored Frames, that are outside column (either margin, rotated as needed), and/or or run-into headings. Their small point size text content is hidden by Color Views at publication. It works and covers variations in caps, tense, pluralization, abbreviation, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Worked like a charm.

Jonathan 

[This is a public forum. Your personal contact information was removed for your protection.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, I'm curious about how you avoid the text in such hidden frames or run-into headings from being translated by translation companies? Do you tag or mark them or let also them to be translated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

re: …how you avoid the text in such hidden frames or run-into headings from being translated by translation companies? Do you tag or mark them or let also them to be translated?

Translation hasn't arisen as a requirement on any document of mine that uses this technique, but since the hidden meta-text populates visible text all over the document, I would generally want it to be translated (excepting proper names, trademarks, etc.)

In any case, the source instances are either hidden by Color Views or use Condition Codes, and preserving/honoring those would be part of expected translator stewardship.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is already a feature request in the Adobe Tracker:

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-2294

You might vote there or add comments.

Hopefully Adobe will implement this feature sometime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines