I have a book with several files and want to change the content of a user variable across all of them.
I read some ways to do that in this forum but none of these work for me:
- Doing a MIF snippet doesn't work because I'm using FM 2017 and when I load the MIF, FM automatically adds all the system stuff.
- Importing variables from other file is the same case: it imports all variables (system & user)
- I found FrameMaker Super Find / Change Reloaded script but it only change the first ocurrence of the variable in each file. I don't know why.
Is there any way to do this task?
Thanks a lot for your time
Copy link to clipboard
How are you "loading" the MIF snippet? Importing by copy a true snippet (i.e. only the desired variables and nothing else) just adds those variables to the FM file.
There's also Scott Prentice's BookVars plug-in. See: http://leximation.com/tools/info/bookvars.php
Here's the MIF snippet instructions off the Free Framers list (thanks Richard G. Combs):
This is how you do it:
1. Create a MIF snippet (don't worry, you'll find an example of the
"code" at the end of this procedure).
2. Open the MIF snippet in a text editor and change the variable name or
the variable definition.
3. Open the MIF snippet in FM and import its variable definitions (only
one) into the other FM files.
This is an example of a MIF snippet. You can copy this, paste it in a
text editor and change the variable definition and name.
<MIFFile 7.00> # Generated by FrameMaker 7.0p578
<VariableDef `<Default \xa6 Font\>Adobe FrameMaker<Default \xa6
> # end of VariableFormat
> # end of VariableFormats
# End of MIFFile
Thanks a lot Jeff, it works!
this forum is making my life easier!!
Thanks a lot! it works!!!