Highlighted

Change the path of a linked FM file

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

[Framemaker 2015, Windows 7]

I have a book with several FM files in it. All of the FM files are located in the same directory as the book, except for one, which is linked (it is located one directory up and one directory down). How can I move the linked FM file to the same directory as the rest of the files in the book, while keeping all of the cross-references to and from that file?

Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Change the path of a linked FM file

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

[Framemaker 2015, Windows 7]

I have a book with several FM files in it. All of the FM files are located in the same directory as the book, except for one, which is linked (it is located one directory up and one directory down). How can I move the linked FM file to the same directory as the rest of the files in the book, while keeping all of the cross-references to and from that file?

Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 21, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm honestly not sure there is an easy way. I think Rick Quatro's ArchiveES script would work, because it automatically updates xrefs and the like when you archive a book file.

If you have fewer than 50 xrefs to or from the chapter, though, it's probably just as fast (and cheaper) to move the file to where you want it and then do a search for unresolved xrefs and fix it that way.

If you have lots more than 50 xrefs, you might want to talk to Rick directly. If ArchiveES can't fix the xrefs when it moves files, he can probably create a script for you that does the job for a reasonable fee. I bought a custom script from him not too long ago for $150 that inserted the total number of pages of a subset of the files in a book into a user variable. Worth every penny.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yossi,

I was just at Rick's online webstore, and I think he has a script that will do EXACTLY what you want. It's called PathChanger, and this is the brief description:

PathChanger is a program for globally updating paths to imported graphics, text insets, external cross-references, and book components. PathChanger writes all of your document or book references to a simple .csv file that can be opened and edited in Excel. The changes can then be written back to FrameMaker, updating hundreds of broken links at once.

I hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2018 0
yossi_k LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That's amazing! Will definitely check it out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2018 0