Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the text in TitleTOC

Contributor ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Is it possible to change the text that defaults in the TitleTOC (is this considered a Style)?  I only want the text to read "Content".  Here is a snapshot of what it currently defaults to when creating a TOC:

Many thanks in advance.

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Hi Ben,

You have added a paragraph called Title to the styles generated by your TOC. The Contents text you see is a result of either

1. A paragraph tagged with Title that contains the text Contents (if so, correct the para to read Content)
  2. A paragraph tagged with Title that contains no text but has autonumbering in Title set to Contents
    (if so, correct the autonumber of Title to read Content)
  3. A paragraph tagged with Title that contains no text but has autonumbering in TitleTOC set to Contents
    (if so, co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to change the originating text (tagged with the Title paragraph tag) to read "Content" - the TOC is just going to pick up whatever is attached to that Title tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, should have been more clear. 

I figured I would need to change the "source".  But I am not sure how to navigate to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

You have added a paragraph called Title to the styles generated by your TOC. The Contents text you see is a result of either

1. A paragraph tagged with Title that contains the text Contents (if so, correct the para to read Content)
  2. A paragraph tagged with Title that contains no text but has autonumbering in Title set to Contents
    (if so, correct the autonumber of Title to read Content)
  3. A paragraph tagged with Title that contains no text but has autonumbering in TitleTOC set to Contents
    (if so, correct the autonumber of TitleTOC to read Content)

If you are looking only to add a heading to the top line of your TOC, just define a new paragraph (perhaps called ContentsTitle) and apply that to the top line of your TOC. It will stay there when you regenerate your TOC because only those paras with TOC as the suffix are removed.

Oh, and you'll find you have a series of blank heading paragraphs that you'll want to remove from your chapters. They are causing the odd page number references like the line below Roles and Responsibilities.

If you're new to TOCs and FrameMaker in general, you might consider picking up a copy of my reference book, FrameMaker - Working with Content.

Let me know if there's anything else you need.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl+Click on Contents to jump to the source of your entry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt - I do have your book, but did not (yet) see anything in it that was specific to my ask.

Thanks - I chose option 2 to resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you got it taken care of!

Yes, your generated TOC and paragraph autonumbering strings are combining to produce a specific automated result, so the answer to your question is spread across multiple chapters.

As you figured out, the Title paragraph you're using technically has no content (it contains only an autonumber string).

I like using this technique in my own work when I can. In my books, the text above the MiniTOC in each chapter (Here's a look at what's in this chapter) is one example. Another is the Table of Contents text above the main TOC at the front of the book.

This technique ensures consistency throughout the entire book and/or books in the series, but can require use of specialized building blocks like the <$paranum> and <$paranumonly> if you want to display the text in a TOC or in cross-reference formats. 

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines