i'm relativliy new to Framemaker 11. but i need to change the layout and add more titles.
I allready added the new title to the edd. but some how the elements are not updated atomataclly.
so i startet to open each element and adding the new format manualy to its variable, but that will take me probably a other week of work, because there are so many ;-(.
it would be awsome if it would be possible to update all variables with the same name in each element at once.
im looking forward to your answers.
I can't understand your question. By nature, variables of the same name always update as a batch. Can you clarify?
it's updating the same variable whitin one element but not over all elements and there are may elements.
but maybe i do some thing wrong.
Until now i opened 10 elements, then in the varianble pot i sorted the names and added to each "languageTest" variable the title4 manualy.
i cant open more than 10 elements at the time because framemaker will crash or will take for ever.
i hope this clarifys a bit.
I am very sorry, but I cannot understand what you are asking about. Maybe someone else can.
FM crashing means you are doing something fundamentally wrong.
From your post I figure, you have some structured document, need to add some new heading layers and you try to fix this by some sort of variables.
Simple put: It doesn't work this way.
What you need to do is:
- open the EDD you've been provided with
- add a new paragraph format for the titles you need
- add a new level rule to the <title> element (or what it's called in your structure)
- the level rule needs to check for its element name: Let's say you need a level 4 title. Add a level rule. Count the ancestors for <title>. Amount is 3. Then add a paragraph formatting with your already created format for level 4 headings.
- save the EDD
- import the EDD into your document
- be happy ever after
Here's some screenshots (sadly in german):
Thanks for your answer, i thoght i do some thing wrong!
however , I allread updatet the EDD saved it as EDD. i will have to check it by one of are tecnical writers if it works like they need it.
what meke's me wonder is:
the file strukter is as followed:
>xml_Ablage (in here are files which are used in the books, i dont touch does)
>xml_strucktur (thas the part i worked in, it is split as followed)
>>02_Template (in here im working on a new Layout on the template.fm)
>>01_Struktur (in here is the edd and dtd saved an a whole bunch of text-, präfix-, sufix-ruls. if i open one of this, than there is a variable caled "LanguageTest":
Unfortunately this Variable does not contain the Titel_E4 which I added previosly in the EDD.
so i thoght i need to open each of them and add the Titel_E4 to the variable.
So the question is, do i have to update this variable manauly in each of them, or should it be updated automatacly by any prosses?
what I can see from that small snippet, your DTD is somewhat - just being honest - stupid.
Whoever created the DTD made one major mistake: creating an element for each occurrence of an element within the structure hierarchy.
This makes things now overly complicated.
To preserve your legacy documents, you will need to keep this awkward structure in its basic configuration - at least for now (you really should consider a transformation to "real" XML in the long run).
So much for me ranting - now to the (part) solution:
As you mentioned, you've already created a new element <Titel_E4> - this is good. You will now need to add this element to the DTD too for your XML roundtripping. After this, you'll need to set up a context rule in the EDD, that gives your new element the desired formatting ("in allen Kontexten/absatzformatierung/titel4").
When you've done that, you will also need to import the "new" EDD into the template .fm file. Be sure to have a paragraph format called "titel4" (see above). This will reliably set your formatting to the desired output for each document, that uses your NEW template.
As you have an XML process in the background, even older documents should then recognize this new feature, when they are opened in FM.
Regarding the variable: don't touch it - at least not as long as some process requires it. The EDD snippet you provided leads me to believe that your language stuff is controlled by the attribute "Sprache". The variable on the other side suggests, that it was only used for testing purposes. But I could be wrong on that one
It is hard to judge from here how your process is set up and what might be involved. If there are other programs involved than FM, you will need to teach them how to react to your new element too.
your answer helped me a lot, thanks!