Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chapter not numbering properly in book

Participant ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am using FM 2019. I've created a standalone LOT and LOF file, but they are not inherting the numbering from the previous chapter. 

I've tried to manually adjust the pagination so that it recognizes the page number of the previous chapter of the book via Format->Document->Numbering->Page->Continue Numbering from previous page in book. 

It doesn't work. Help? Thank you!

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

You have to set book numbering at the book level. Right-click on the component (or components) in the book and choose Numbering. Set it there, update the book and you should get what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to set book numbering at the book level. Right-click on the component (or components) in the book and choose Numbering. Set it there, update the book and you should get what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. That worked. I had no idea you could do that. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Techwriter2019:

I've tried to manually adjust the pagination so that it recognizes the page number of the previous chapter of the book via Format > Document > Numbering > Page > Continue Numbering from previous page in book.

This specific sequence can be executed from within a document or at the book level (described by Rick, above). You always want to handle numbering for books at the book level, but we can't tell where you are doing it from your description.

Since Rick has already addressed how to do this at the book level (right-click > Numbering is a shortcut), I'll take a slightly different approach. LOTs and LOFs are front matter files, which normally use lowercase roman numerals. Sometimes FrameMaker balks at changing the number format and how to increment when you change the both at the same time. If that is what is going on, change one, click Set, then return and change the other, and click Set again.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tech Writer,

Please clarify your initial question in which you say you "have created a standalone LOT and LOF file" and also that the page numbers in these files do not continue from the previous files in the book. FrameMaker can create a generated file as part of a book or as a separate file with information extracted from a single file. The term "standalone" refers to the second approach. Standalone generated files are rarely inserted into a book, although that is possible. Did you create the generated files with the Insert > List Of command in the book?

Also, Rick said, "Set it there, update the book and you should get what you want." I'd like to expand a bit on the importance of updating the book. FrameMaker supports both creating a publication from a single file and creating a publication from a book of multiple files. To support single files, properties such as the starting page number must be stored in that file since there is no book file. To support books, such properties are stored in the book file.

To set the property in the book, highlight one or more files in the book window, make sure the book window is the current window, and use Format > Document > Numbering. To set the property in the documennt, open the document, keep it current, and use the same command. Since you are working with a book, make sure you only set the book property.

Setting the book property does not immediately change the page numbers in the document. To see the results, you need to use Edit > Update Book. Updating the book can perform a variety of operations including updating paragraph and page numbering, updating cross-references, generating files such as the LOT and LOF you mention. When it updates numbering, it copies the numbering properties from the information stored in the book file for each book component to that file.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb. I do mention "book" above, but maybe I wasn't clear enough. Regardless...thank you! Your method worked as well.

These forums are infinitely more resourceful than doing an online search or calling Adobe.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi TechWriter—we are always happy to help. I'll mark FrameExpert's answer as correct for you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines