Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chapter numbering rules within EDD

Contributor ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I started using FrameMaker a week ago. My first task is to create a structured user manual for one of our products. So far, I have created a simple EDD, covering the basic structure, I need. My question is how to include chapter numbering styles into the EDD, such that the first few chaptrs start with Roman numerals and the rest with Arabic ones.I have already created two types of chapters in GeneralRules (PreChapter and mainChapter). Now, I would like to indicate it in the same EDD that if PreChapter is used use Roman numerals and if MainChapter use Arabic numerals.

Thanks!

Hadi

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hadi,

Is your user manual a FrameMaker book with each chapter in a separate file? If so, you can use either the FrameMaker chapter number or a regular counter in the autonumber of the paragraph displaying the number:

1. Every FrameMaker document has a chapter number which is displayed in an autonumber with the building block <$chapnum>. You set the value and its format with the Format > Document > Numbering command. You can use this command either from the book or the document; properties set in the book override those set in the book. To set the book properties, select one or more files before issuing the command.

2. You can also use a counter in an autonunber for chapter numbers. Use building blocks such as <R> or <R+>  for uppercase Roman numerals and <n> or <n+> for Arabic numerals. If you use the same counter sequence for both, you will probably use <n=1> for the first MainChapter.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lynne,

Thank you for quick answer. Yes, that is what I am trying to do: a framemaker book with each chapter in a separate file. For now, I am using the UserGuide.EDD.fm, which is provided by FrameMaker 2019. It seems quite comprehensive and covers many features of my book if not all. I guess in this case, I may go for your second solution and use the building blocks for chapter as well as page numbering.

Hadi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines