Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my reference page when it generates it adds

<$paratext> <$pagenum>

openXmlElementId <$relfilename>:<$UniqueXmlElementId> <$RelativeXmlElementId>

openObjectId <$relfilename>:<$ObjectType> <$ObjectId>

And each chapter gets a "1" beside it in the TOC. I don't want the number to appear at all.

Why does it keep adding the line above when I delete it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Thanks for posting the image!

*The quick answer to your problem:

Remove the <$pagenum> block from the line controlling the chapter title from the TOC reference page.

More detail:

The "1" is the page number created by the <$pagenum> building block.

It appears there are a number of definitions that aren't being used on the reference page, so you need to do a little investigation.

First, note the paragraph style used to control your chapter title.

Then search through each entry (all the lines starting in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The <$paratext> <$pagenum> it keeps creating is the paragraph format you need to modify.

I'm not sure what you're attempting to do...

Can you post an image of both the TOC body page and the reference page as they exist right now, and also an image of what you want the TOC to look like when it's generated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a section of the body page in the TOC. I want to eliminate the "1".

FM TOC1.jpg

The line at the top of the Reference page keeps coming back after I delete it:

FM TOC2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the image!

*The quick answer to your problem:

Remove the <$pagenum> block from the line controlling the chapter title from the TOC reference page.

More detail:

The "1" is the page number created by the <$pagenum> building block.

It appears there are a number of definitions that aren't being used on the reference page, so you need to do a little investigation.

First, note the paragraph style used to control your chapter title.

Then search through each entry (all the lines starting in <$paratext> for the paragraph style noted above, with TOC (e.g. ChapterTitleTOC) There may be more than one paragraph with that style.

Remove the <$paranum> building block and update your book.

Also: you may have more than one TOC reference page. The page you showed me doesn't have an entry that seems to match with your current TOC. Look for a TOC reference page (or TOC text flow on a reference page) that precedes the one you showed. You may find that it is the one that is actually controlling your TOC.

If it's still driving you nuts next week, send me the file and I'll check it out. I'll be away from email until Monday morning, Pacific time zone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the detailed reply! Yes that fixed it. Actually I changed the font and weight of the ChapterTitle TOC in the body page which is why it did not mesh with what you saw on the reference page. yeah I know I should change it in the reference page!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines