• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conversion Table question

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having issues when i structure documents with my conversion table. I have text insets that i use the conversion table i created and it structures the text insets perfectly. I then structure the chapter and it all seems great until i import the text inset into the chapter. It gives me red errors on just the bulleted list and numbered list. Its fine in the text inset but when insert to the chapter it breaks the bullets and numbered list. Is anyone having issues like this or can someone tell me what i am doing wrong. 

Sam

TOPICS
Scripting , Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While text insets seem to be supported in conversion, I've not ever written a table to manage them.

Are you hoping to maintain the TI in the converted files? If not, I'd recommend converting the TIs to content either manually or with a script, then converting per the "usual" rules.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt its not a specific conversion table for Text Insets. I am using the conversion table i created for the whole book in the text insets. I hope that makes sense. The text insets have the same rules as the chapter rules. So i figured i can just insert the structured inset in the chapter and it flow properly. It seems that it does not like it because i get red on most of the text insets with bullets or item list like numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so you're running the conversion table on a file, which is coincidentally a text inset, yes? A number of things could be going wrong here, so screen captures of the converted file would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the same element definitions in both the text inset file and the chapter file?

If the lists are defined in the TI file's element defs, but not in the chapter, that would cause the error you have.

P.S. If you are not using the InsetPlus plugin, you should be (it's free!)

http://www.weststreetconsulting.com/WSC_InsetPlus.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In theory, native text insets should work with structured FrameMaker. You must have a simple issue with your element definitions and/or the final structure after insets are inserted. If both the source and reference documents have the same EDD, the same structure should be valid in the reference document when insets are inserted.

Having said that, I found native insets to be clumsy in structured FrameMaker. Sometimes I got crashes. Plus, it never made sense to use some obsolete method for sourcing and referencing... for example, using a flow as the lowest granularity in the source. But that's what you have to do if there is no structural markup. With markup, it only makes sense to use that markup. And that was the inspiration for InsetPlus... because I needed insets that actually worked.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attaching screen shot so it can be more clear. I thank you all for all your input. 

clipboard_image_0.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I can't see much in these pictures. Too blurry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I agree with Russ...I can't read the structure view in your converted file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines