Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert FM equations into TeX strings

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2010 Jul 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM newbie here

Is it possible to convert equations in a Framemaker document into TeX strings?  In other words: parse a document for equations and blow them up into equivalent TeX string?

Thanks

phaedo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only FM to LaTex converter that I'm aware of is found on Ken Turner's site at: http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~kjt/software/framemaker/

I don't know if it does equations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I previously found it but it's only for Unix and the readme page says:

The following information is lost in the translation:

• page layout, including page numbering
  • the document date
  • frames, including figure contents and mathematics expressions
  • markers, including index entries
  • table formatting

so I assume equations aren't converted.

Does anyone know another tool to do this type of conversion?  Looking at the structure of MIF equation, it shouldn't be very difficult...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phaedo,

You have already looked at the MIF representation, which is also available to API programming methods. Can you give us an example of what you would like to see, i.e. how a MIF construct has to be turned into a TeX string?

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael

Thank you for your post.  From Adobe's MIF reference guide, here's an example (quadratic roots formula):

• TeX: $ x = \frac{– b \pm \sqrt{b^2 – 4ac}}{2a} $
  • MIF:<MathFullForm
    ` equal[char,over[plus[minus[char],pm[sqrt[plus[power[char,num[2,"2"]],minus[times[num[4,"4"],
    char,char]]]]]],times[num[2,"2"],char]]]' >

What I'd like is a macro or program which interprets the MIF equation structure to produce a TeX math expression.  I think I can do it myself (at least for simple equations) but if someone else has already done it, that would save me some time.

Cheers

- phaedo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2010 Jul 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I kept searching for a bit but couldn't find any resource on the web.  So I did it myself in VBA and I am sharing this here.  If anyone is interested, I could probably open the source code:

http://math.uchicago.edu/~sbossu/misc/MIF2TeX.dot

This does two things:

- Parse a MIF file to replace every equation into a TeX string expression (MIFParseEquations)

- Translate MIF Equation Statements into TeX expressions with a recursive function (MIF2TeX)

Cheers

-phaedo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2010 Aug 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a code attached to your document? I would be interested in this program, as LaTeX has much nicer math output than FM equation editor (which, in turn, surpasses Word 2007)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My macro only converts FM equations into LaTeX expressions, but not into LaTeX-rendered images...  If you want access to the code, send me a private message with some background on what you intend to do with it and I'll respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did not rate. better luck to others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2011 Apr 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi phaedo,

Have you found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes you can download my macro at

http://math.uchicago.edu/~sbossu/misc/MIF2TeX_012.dot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

I've downloaded it.

Sorry but what should i do tu use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are instructions in the document -- anything not clear, let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 PC and 2 MAC

I put the file on the 2 PC, one with Word 2010, the other with Word 2000 (necessary for my job).

When i open the 2 Word applications, the macro does not word.

What's my problem?

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make sure macros are enabled in your security settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's ok now. Very nice tool.

One question: There's bugs in some equations. Is'it possible to enter in the code to solve them?

I'm ok to pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

send me a private message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This utility is now available for download as MiF2TeX 1.0 at http://www.ogeeconsulting.com/software

(FREEWARE)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

Je suis très intéressé par la conversion des documents framemaker vers tex, et la macro que vous avez développée m'intéresse donc beaucoup. Pourriez-vous SVP me fournir un lien actif pour que je puisse la récupérer?

Merci d'avance

Philippe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The macro you made is very interesting for me, as I'd like to translate mif file to latex files.

Could you please give to me an active link which could help to get it?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines