Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting Imported Graphics into Embedded Graphics

Contributor ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have a chapter with about 100 or so graphics, they are all Imported and linked to some Folder.

Is there a Shortcut Way to convert all the Imported Graphics into Embedded Graphics???

At the moment, I am looking at the Insets Panel with all the graphics files and then

1. Selecting each grphic One-by-one
  2. And then, re-importing
  3. And then, re-selecting a Graphic File (in the Import Dialog Box)
  4. And then, Copy Into Document by re-selecting a Replace Button
  5. Then repeating all the steps for the next graphics

I thought there might be an easier way. Would appreciate any insight.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Extendscript is FrameMaker's internal scripting language (more or less javascript). There's also a commercial product called Framescript. IIRC, you can get a commercial script from Rick Quatro at Carmen Publishing that will embed the graphics, if you really want to go this route. See this page for his contact info: Carmen Publishing Inc.

Alternatively, you could clean up the old FM files by using his ArchiveES script (see: SWREG - ArchiveES ) to consolidate an "archive" version in one location i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be easily done with an ExtendScript. But the question is: Why would you want to do this?

Embedding graphics will unnesserarily blow up your file and lock in the graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your response and your suggestion. By the way, What are Extend Script and how do they work???

I am trying to find easier solution to inherited problem, this is mostly for rchive purpose.

I have legacy (10yrs) FM books/chapters which have images stored on multiple network folders.

I would like to upgrade them to FM12 and then have single file (book/chapters) with all images embedded.

By the way, my still doing my way by following steps described earlier.

It is moving faster and I am getting better.

Once again, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Extendscript is FrameMaker's internal scripting language (more or less javascript). There's also a commercial product called Framescript. IIRC, you can get a commercial script from Rick Quatro at Carmen Publishing that will embed the graphics, if you really want to go this route. See this page for his contact info: Carmen Publishing Inc.

Alternatively, you could clean up the old FM files by using his ArchiveES script (see: SWREG - ArchiveES ) to consolidate an "archive" version in one location including all of your external scattered graphics. Then your upgrade can be handled a bit better. [There's a packaging utility built-in to the newer versions of FM, but it won't get files scattered over multiple locations, so I wouldn't recommend you use it for this purpose.]

I would highly recommend against consolidating everything into a single file for a number of reasons:

• The file will substantially bloat and moving through the file will become as slow as molasses at forty below.
  • FM still does occasionally corrupt an internal graphic, leaving you with a grey rectangle and no reference as to what the file was or where it came from - good luck finding the replacement to put back in.
  • Updating any graphics could become a PITA, as you have find it internally, and then replace it [whereas, an external graphic just has to be replaced with the same filename in the same location and FM automatically uses that].
  • Simple maintenance, re-arranging of chapters, updating numbering, etc. is more difficult in a single file compared to using FM's book structure.

If you're just looking to consolidate a legacy product in one place, I would still recommend going the Archive route and skip trying to put it all together in a single file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines