Highlighted

Copying from Word into FM - different fonts

Contributor ,
Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Scenario:

• Existing manual that needs many changes.
  • Source provided will be copied from a Word document into existing FM files.
  • The word document has paragraphs that are in Times New Roman.  The FM files are in Arial.

What I've been doing up to this point, is copying a paragraph at a time from the Word document into the FM file, then changing the font for the paragraph.

Question - is there a more efficient way?

Many thanks in advance.

Ben

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jeff_Coatsworth | Adobe Community Professional

I found that doing a copy/paste straight from Word to FM worked great - provided you rigged your maker.ini to treat the Paste as a paste-special text only command (set the ClipboardFormatsPriorities=TEXT, FILE, MIFW, MIF, RTF, OLE 2, META, EMF,  DIB, BMP, UNICODE TEXT). Then I could go to town applying FM paragraph tags to the content.

Others have found that cleaning up your Word content to have the Word styles match FM paragraph tags allows the import Word docs internal convertor to work better & save you having to apply tags post-import. My problem with that route was that it was just as much effort to clean up the Word docs as it was to fix the FM content post-paste.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Copying from Word into FM - different fonts

Contributor ,
Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Scenario:

• Existing manual that needs many changes.
  • Source provided will be copied from a Word document into existing FM files.
  • The word document has paragraphs that are in Times New Roman.  The FM files are in Arial.

What I've been doing up to this point, is copying a paragraph at a time from the Word document into the FM file, then changing the font for the paragraph.

Question - is there a more efficient way?

Many thanks in advance.

Ben

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jeff_Coatsworth | Adobe Community Professional

I found that doing a copy/paste straight from Word to FM worked great - provided you rigged your maker.ini to treat the Paste as a paste-special text only command (set the ClipboardFormatsPriorities=TEXT, FILE, MIFW, MIF, RTF, OLE 2, META, EMF,  DIB, BMP, UNICODE TEXT). Then I could go to town applying FM paragraph tags to the content.

Others have found that cleaning up your Word content to have the Word styles match FM paragraph tags allows the import Word docs internal convertor to work better & save you having to apply tags post-import. My problem with that route was that it was just as much effort to clean up the Word docs as it was to fix the FM content post-paste.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 07, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2018 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the best way is to import the file into my Fm template, and use the Word mapping tool.

After that, you can apply your para and character tags as needed.

If substantial cleanup remains after mapping Word to Fm styles, I recommend Rick Quatro's FindChangeFormatsBatch

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2018 0