Highlighted

Create paragraph tag with coloured background

Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a paragraph tag with a colored background. Black background  - white text.

There is a font option allowing me to set a colored  background, and I can set a stroke above and below the text. But it seems I cannot totally avoid having a single, thin white line below the text.

Working in FM 2019. Is it really not possible to have colored background and extend the background color above and below the text?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Create paragraph tag with coloured background

Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a paragraph tag with a colored background. Black background  - white text.

There is a font option allowing me to set a colored  background, and I can set a stroke above and below the text. But it seems I cannot totally avoid having a single, thin white line below the text.

Working in FM 2019. Is it really not possible to have colored background and extend the background color above and below the text?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 30, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frame doesn't have the ability to put background shading on a paragraph.

The usual workaround is to put the paragraph into a single-cell table with no borders and set the fill.

If you put your anchor into its own paragraph, define the paragraph tag with Space Below equal to the -font size (for example, -12pt), and define Space Above for the Table the same way (-12pt).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 1
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the thin white line coming from the frame containing the line on the reference page? Can you post a screenshot of what the paragraph looks like?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 1
Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ikke-navngivet-1.png

We can add a background colour to the paragraph, like the blue colour which is chosen here. It seems that the background colour is tied to the line height of the font in use. Ideally I would like to be able to stretch the background colour up and down.

I just wish it would be possible to have the Line above/Line below go all the way up to the fonts baseline, but I cannot make that work without leaving a thin  blank line.

The workaround with the table cell is ingenous though!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 0
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can put a background color for the font, but that is limited to the characters. It's not really a background for the entire paragraph. It won't look like a box, in other words, it'll look like this at 100% zoom [which makes those white lines between each line of text disappear (and holy cow, what happened to the resolution?)]:

background font shading.png

If that's what you want, then try setting the line spacing to just a bit less than your font size. My font was set to 14 for the example; when I made the Line Spacing 12 pt, the gap between lines disappeared no matter what the zoom. It makes the text tight, though.

ETA: This is an example of a single-cell table formatted as I suggested above:

paragraph in table with shading.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 2
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone on the Adobe team monitoring this forum? You should look at how InDesign handles paragraph ruling and shading. It is really quite elegant and it would be great if FrameMaker could handle it the same way. The current features are quite primitive and could use improvement.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 2