Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-Ref to External Link is Broken...

Contributor ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

With your help, I have been able to establish corss-ref (or HyperText) to an external document.

Yesterday, using HyperText option (Message Client), I was able to create link to an external PDF Document.

Syntex of Message Client: message openfile relative_path

After publishing document, link to an external PDF document works fine.

But when I move all the files and subfolders to another location, LINKS are BROKEN. Is there a way to fix that???

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Does the relative link work within FM (hold down ctrl+alt and then click on the link)? If it doesn't work there, then your path information is not correct. I also think you might need to be using quotes around the path because of the space in the folder name - FM has a unix heritage and is a bit sensitive on file names and paths.

Where do the links point to within the PDF (use the Acrobat Link tool > Properties when you select the link box)?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do any of your links cross the root of a drive? If so, then FM makes them absolute (i.e. full path including drive).

Check some of the broken links in Acrobat to see where they are pointing to - this will let you know if it's an absolute reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

I have an FM document which has three links:

Link 1 is set as shown below. It links to an external PDF file, when I publish FM document this link works.

But when I move published document folder and related sub-folders, link does not work.

I can see that this link is Absolute link, but if I change this to relative link (as shown below) then it does not work. 

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

Is there any option in Hypertext (to link to external document) with the Relative Path???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the relative link work within FM (hold down ctrl+alt and then click on the link)? If it doesn't work there, then your path information is not correct. I also think you might need to be using quotes around the path because of the space in the folder name - FM has a unix heritage and is a bit sensitive on file names and paths.

Where do the links point to within the PDF (use the Acrobat Link tool > Properties when you select the link box)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Arnis,

To answer your question, Adobe Acrobat, shows Absolute Link, and I needed to put Relative Link.

All the link in FM works fine, I just had problem with linking to the external document.

I just did not know how to assign the Relative Path in Hypertext according to different Command choices.

But it seems like I have made it work. I used message URL ../xxx/xxx/xxx.pdf

Here is my Hypertext Text:

And here is the Path information with Command Go to URL:

As I said, it does work.

Thank you for all your help. Sorry for delay in my response. Once again, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines