• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-Reference font Issues

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm cross-referencing headings in a table. Everytime I cross-reference, the font changes to a different font (Times Roman). Fonts in the table cells is a 9 pt Georgia font and the heading font is 16 pt Source Sans Pro. The xref format is <Blue><paratext>. Does anybody know what's causing the font to change when cross-referenced?

Really need help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Your x-ref format is to blame. The <Blue> character tag has more attributes set than you want. If you want the "Blue" character tag to apply just a blue coloujr and do nothing else, then you need to examine what is being applied.

1. Make a selection outside of the text frame, i.e. just click somewhere where there is no text.

2. Bring up the Character designer and scroll to the Blue character tag.

3. Is it showing any other attributes besides Blue?

4. If so, do Shift+F8 to reset all features to "AsI

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a Character Format is applied at the target text.

Remove it by selecting it, and applying
[ƒ] Default ¶ Font

Edit > Update References

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Applied Default Font to all text that is xreferenced, Edit > Update References and goes back to the Times New Roman font. So I pulled up the Font Pod and saw Times New Roman as one of the fonts listed in my chapter. Double clicked on the Times font and replaced it with the font I wanted. It changed it to the desired font but not the size. The cells that do not have the xref have the correct font size. Only when the xref is applied to the text in the cells of the table, the font properties change.

Is this an issue in FrameMaker 12?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still not clear if:

1. you are creating a cross-reference to the cells and then the formatting of the content within the cells changes (which shouldn't happen and doesn't in all of my versions of FM12).

Or,

2. you have a cross-reference to a cell and the formatting of that cross-reference in your text doesn't match your expectations of how it should appear.

Is this an example of what you are trying to do?

Table_xref.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a cross-reference to a cell and formatting of the xref text does not match my expectations of how it should appear. The font should be Georgia in the cells and the size should be 9 pt. I was able to replace the font as I explained earlier but the size does not change when I apply the xref. Why does the xref text change?

Here's my example.

Xref.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your x-ref format is to blame. The <Blue> character tag has more attributes set than you want. If you want the "Blue" character tag to apply just a blue coloujr and do nothing else, then you need to examine what is being applied.

1. Make a selection outside of the text frame, i.e. just click somewhere where there is no text.

2. Bring up the Character designer and scroll to the Blue character tag.

3. Is it showing any other attributes besides Blue?

4. If so, do Shift+F8 to reset all features to "AsIs" and then select just the colour.

5. Do an Update All to make this a global change to the character tag.

Now whenever the <Blue> character tag is used, it should apply just a blue colour and leave the rest of the text as the same as the surrounding paratext.

Note: what is the "purpose" of the <Blue> paratag? You would be better off using semantic naming (i.e. functional naming, rather than attribute-based naming) in the long term when it comes to document maintenance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Blue character tag had a 10pt font size. I did do the Shift+F8 and made the gloabal change to the tag as per your instructions. It worked. Thank YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines