• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-References in PDF Output from Framemaker: How to Center Pages?

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I understand well-enough how cross-references work in Framemaker, but one thing that bothers me is how, when generating a PDF from Framemaker and clicking on a cross-reference, the resulting page view locates the cross-reference marker at the very top of a page.

This is very inconvenient and confusing when, say, cross-referencing a figure caption that appears at the bottom of a page. The resulting page view when following such a cross-reference in a PDF centers the text of the _following_ page, with the text of the figure caption barely visible at the top of the page.

My question: Is there a way to construct cross-references such that that the resulting page view, when clicking in a PDF, is centered on the page on which the cross-referenced material appears?

Thanks so much.

JMW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Not that I'm aware of in FrameMaker.

But in Acrobat, set the Initial View to Single Page instead of Continuous.

File > Properties > Initial View.

VMware Fusionss_007.png

Two Up (Facing) and Two Up (Cover Page) would also work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I'm aware of in FrameMaker.

But in Acrobat, set the Initial View to Single Page instead of Continuous.

File > Properties > Initial View.

VMware Fusionss_007.png

Two Up (Facing) and Two Up (Cover Page) would also work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! I thought there might be an Acrobat setting, but I wasn't sure. Thanks, BB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC – that’s a user-set setting – you don’t have any control over it from the production side

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a user-set property? I have always assumed that setting the various Initial View properties to "Default" (which I believe is the default setting!) let the end-user's default settings control, but setting them to anything else overrode the user settings. I hope that's true: I've been (for years) setting all my deliverable PDFs to "Single Page" and "Fit Page" specifically because I want my end users to see whole pages when the open and page through my documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is correct. Many of us use File > Properties > Initial View (or the corresponding setting in FrameMaker) to set up how the user sees our PDF when they open it. This post is from Acrobat 9, but still valid: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-acrobat-9-controlling-a-pdf-files-initial-view/ .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you are back on track!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Barb,

This solves the problem up to the point where the end user does not change the page view settings. I would like to know if there is solution in Framemaker which would set the page view to "single page" whenever a link is clicked or maybe even better a cross ref solution which lets us also mark the content above the marker text to be included in the page vierw when its clicked. I looked into the settings and couldn't find anything meaningful.

Using "Hotspots" would be a good solution to this problem but I see that they can't be used as markers or cross ref objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines