• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross references keep losing their format

Participant ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several cross references (fm-xref) inserted into my ditamap. When I insert them, I select the task or concept element that I want to link to, select Format dita default format, and click insert. The cross references are inserted into the document and display as I would expect.

The problem occurs when I save, close, and re-open the dita file. The cross reference no longer looks like a link, the spaces between words in a title are removed, and when I inspect the cross reference in the pod the format has switched to 'Text' rather than 'Format' dita default format.

How do I make the dita default format stick?

Also, I would really like the cross reference format to include the section number and title text of the topic. My section numbers are applied later in the publication process when I apply a template to my composite fm doc generated from my ditamap. Can this be done simply?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Kat

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Hi Kat...

I'm assuming you're using FM 2017? Turns out that this is a bug in FM. The xrefs (fm-xrefs) are being created incorrectly and causing the format to get "unlinked". There's really no workaround for this, other than to wait for the update (I believe that this will be fixed in the next update). If you have FM 2015, you could go back to using that until the fix comes out.

As for the section numbers .. as long as what you're trying to do can be done in a regular cross-ref format definition, y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kat...

I'm assuming you're using FM 2017? Turns out that this is a bug in FM. The xrefs (fm-xrefs) are being created incorrectly and causing the format to get "unlinked". There's really no workaround for this, other than to wait for the update (I believe that this will be fixed in the next update). If you have FM 2015, you could go back to using that until the fix comes out.

As for the section numbers .. as long as what you're trying to do can be done in a regular cross-ref format definition, you should be able to to it here (once the bug is fixed). You'd need to modify the structure application template(s) to add your custom cross-ref format, then choose that when you insert the fm-xref. In theory this should work fine.

Thanks,

...scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Scott. I am in FM 2017, so will just manually fix the cross references in my final file for now until the bug fix comes out. I'm pretty new to Framemaker so wasn't sure if I was just missing a step somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can "simulate" the way it'll work by opening the DITA file in a text editor after you've saved the file with the xref .. locate the xref and delete the content from the xref element. This is what you'll likely see ..

<xref href="target-file.xml" outputclass="fm:FORMATNAME">Target File Title</xref>

.. and this is what you should change it to ..

<xref href="target-file.xml" outputclass="fm:FORMATNAME"></xref>

When you open the file in FM, it'll "look" right again. The cross-ref format, "FORMATNAME", will be applied to the xref.

Of course .. that's not a "real" way to work .. but it'll show that it does/should work.

Cheers,

...scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines