Highlighted

Custom Heading 1 Autonumbering

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I've searched and searched the forum to find a clue to my dilemma, but have had no luck.

This is a related to a previous post about formatting a Heading1 with a black background and white text in front. I have successfully figured that part out (as a table cell with Heading 1 inside of it). So here's part II:

I need the numbering in front of the Heading 1 to look like this:

14.1 Heading 1 Title Here      -----> the format of this IS Heading 1 where 14=chapter number, and 1=Heading 1 number

I'm trying to accomplish this with auto-numbering, but it appears that there is no way to get H1 paranum in there. Here are some I've tried:

<$chapnum>.<$paranum>

and

<$chapnum>.<$paranum[Heading1]>       ->but these do not appear to be allowed in autonumbering at all.

Also tried two separate Heading 1 paragraph styles:

<$chapnum>.<n=1>      ->paragraph named Heading1=1; that part works

then in Heading 1

<$chapnum>.<n+>         -> that doesn't work; obviously the two paragraphs are not connected

Can I create a variable that will do this, and insert it in a cell before the Heading 1 text?

Chapter&Heading1Num = <$chapnum><$paranum[Heading 1]>

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Custom Heading 1 Autonumbering

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I've searched and searched the forum to find a clue to my dilemma, but have had no luck.

This is a related to a previous post about formatting a Heading1 with a black background and white text in front. I have successfully figured that part out (as a table cell with Heading 1 inside of it). So here's part II:

I need the numbering in front of the Heading 1 to look like this:

14.1 Heading 1 Title Here      -----> the format of this IS Heading 1 where 14=chapter number, and 1=Heading 1 number

I'm trying to accomplish this with auto-numbering, but it appears that there is no way to get H1 paranum in there. Here are some I've tried:

<$chapnum>.<$paranum>

and

<$chapnum>.<$paranum[Heading1]>       ->but these do not appear to be allowed in autonumbering at all.

Also tried two separate Heading 1 paragraph styles:

<$chapnum>.<n=1>      ->paragraph named Heading1=1; that part works

then in Heading 1

<$chapnum>.<n+>         -> that doesn't work; obviously the two paragraphs are not connected

Can I create a variable that will do this, and insert it in a cell before the Heading 1 text?

Chapter&Heading1Num = <$chapnum><$paranum[Heading 1]>

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 24, 2016 0
Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this would do it (it's what I have in one of my books):

autonumber format selected

heading 1

H:<$chapnum>.<n+>< =0>

heading 2

H:<$chapnum>.<n>.<n+>

heading 3

H:<$chapnum>.<n>.<n>.<n+>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version are you on, Diane? If you are current, you can use a paragraph box (shading) instead of having to create a single-cell table:

VMware Fusionss_004.png

As for the numbering, check out this post, which I wrote to help one of my students work through the logic behind paragraph numbering. It was written for an older version, but still works the same way today in 2015: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-9-numbering-headings/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2016 0