Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning,

Since there are two ways to make a TOC:

a. Add TOC

b. Special TOC for document

Our component manuals have a cover, toc, body, and back cover.

Our product manuals are set up by section, and have the toc, and body. Of course a cover and back cover.

So my question is what is the difference in using one or the other toc:? We also have to have bookmarks and links in the toc?

Just thought I would get the real reason behind which one is used for what.

Thanks,

LS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Functionally speaking, there is no difference. They both work the same. It's the scope that varies.

If you have a book, then use the first approach (add the TOC). It will scan all files in the book and automatically update when you re-generate a book.

Creating a stand-alone TOC is a convenience that in the past has been used for various purposes (such as embedding mini-TOC's in a document) that can now be more easily done with the new functionality in FM2015. The stand-alone document TOC has to be

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Functionally speaking, there is no difference. They both work the same. It's the scope that varies.

If you have a book, then use the first approach (add the TOC). It will scan all files in the book and automatically update when you re-generate a book.

Creating a stand-alone TOC is a convenience that in the past has been used for various purposes (such as embedding mini-TOC's in a document) that can now be more easily done with the new functionality in FM2015. The stand-alone document TOC has to be run manually to update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that is what I don't like about it, though if you have a book with sections and section toc's, I guess there isn't a choice unless a mini toc can be produced.

I was just wondering if there was any other reason behind the two.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines