Disappearing Pargraph Types and Formatting

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a tear-my-hair-out kind of day. I spent all last week copying and pasting content into FrameMaker from a PDF. I didn't have to Paste Special. Just got it all in and then applied my paragraph tags. When that document was perfect, I tried to import the format into a new document--none of the format "took."

So, I made a copy of the entire folder and then deleted all the content and saved this book as my template. Now I'm trying to copy from a new doc and paste it in. But every time I do, it pastes as "Body" and retains the style from the source doc. I apply my style but the very next time I paste something in, I have to do the same thing.

Basically, my paragraph styles are not stable. Every time I try to apply them, I have to delete tab stops, update fonts, and so on and Update Style.

I know this is verboten but am I better off just taking my totally complete document and deleting/copying/pasting as I go?

On top of this, FrameMaker has crashed no fewer than 6 times.

Sorry this is so convoluted but my brain is positively fried.

Thanks!

Meredith

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent all last week copying and pasting content into FrameMaker from a PDF. I didn't have to Paste Special. Just got it all in and then applied my paragraph tags. When that document was perfect, I tried to import the format into a new document--none of the format "took."

What version of FrameMaker are you using? Do you still have that file? When you click iin a "perfect" paragraph what does it show in the  left hand side of the Status Bar? For example, do you see Flow A: ¶ Body or Flow A: ¶ *Body? The • indicates an override, and you want to remove those. You can remove overrides quickly with a Find/Change (Find Paragraph Format Overrides, then Remove Overrides).

Once the styles are cleaned up, updated, and the overrides removed, you will be able to import the paragraph styles from one document to another with File > Import > Formats. Make sure both files are open, and that you initiate the command from the new document.

And clarifying, when you said apply styles, you don't mean File > Utilities > Create and Apply Formats, do you? Do you just mean assign the paragraph formats from the Paragraph Catalog to the selected text?

~Barb

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: ...pasting content into FrameMaker from a PDF.

The need to do this arises in any number of scenarios, such as:
- revising a document that now exists only as PDF
- perhaps an OCR-to-PDF scan of a paper artifact

When I've needed to do it, I always Copy Special from PDF or Paste Special in FM, restricted to plain text.

In addition to avoiding the auto-creation of random formats and styles, most as overrides, it's been my experience that copying from PDF is at some risk of bringing in stray characters at ends of lines, other invisible metadata, and for OCR, garbled text randomly.

100% proof-reading is essential, and just apply formats (and Xrefs) as you go.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines