• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document to document cross reference links do not work when saved to PDF?

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Document to document cross reference links do not work when saved to PDF?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Document to document cross reference links do not work when saved to PDF?

Are you just trying to open the target PDF, or go to a specific marker (page) within it?

If the latter, see How do I create links from the middle of 1 PDF to another? among other discussions.

I have no idea if this was ever fixed in more recent versions of FM i.e. could be done without PDF hacking or 3rd party tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that each of your documents is a FrameMaker book file, with its components in separate FrameMaker documents.

From memory:

• You must name each of your book files the same as the PDF you will output from it
    (i.e. foo.book for an output of foo.pdf)
  • You must not link across drives
    (e.g from a network drive to a local hard drive)
  • You must open the book file that you want to output
  • You must also open any book file that contains a component to which you are linking
  • You do not have to open the components themselves
    (i.e. the *.fm FrameMaker documents)
  • You must use the default output name for the PDF
  • All PDFs must be in the same relative location as their corresponding book files.

Most people put the book files in the same directory, and output the PDF files to the same output directory.

If you rename the PDF files, or change their relative position, you will break the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still does not work.

My file structure is:

Source Directory

C:Acme/Techpubs/SOM/SOM.book
C:Acme/Techpubs/OPM/OPM.book

Output Directory:
C:Acme/Techpubs/PDF/OPM.pdf
C:Acme/Techpubs/PDF/SOM.pdf

As I have stated, The links work within a book when  printed to a PDF.
The links work  to an extenal book  in an open .fm file with Ctl Alt.

They do not work when in a printed PDF.

George Folden

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are creating the PDF by printing (instead of SaveAsPDF), you must have the Generate Acrobat Data option turned on.

It is not recommended to use the print route (unless you have very specific press requirements) since about FM8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the way I print:  I  print Book "Generate Print Data" and I have have the bookmarks and link set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if all your book files are open in FM, have you tried using the SaveAsPDF route?

Also, have you checked the link Properties in Acrobat to see where the "broken" link(s) are actually pointing to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried the Save as.

How do I access the link Properties in Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In Acrobat use the Tools > Content Editing section and select the Add or Edit Link tool (looks like a chain link). All of your links should now show with borders.

Right-click on a link and select Properties... add the bottom of the context menu.

Select the Actions tab from the Properties window. Then examine the link type and target destination to see what it actually is pointing to.

Compare this to the path and name used in FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines