• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Framemaker support text wrapping around a frame in table cells?

Participant ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've re-created some informational text+icon boxes in my document which were originally created on Indesign. I've used the method described in the following instruction which utilizes a 2 column table where the first cell is being used for the icon image and the second one is being used for the informational text. The first icon cell becomes wider when I insert more than one icon into it and of course, this causes the text cell column to become narrower.

Adobe Framemaker Icons 

Is there a way to straddle cells which are placed on different columns and rows? I've thought that maybe creating a 2x2 table with the above method and then straddling the text cells would solve my problem. Framemaker doesn't allow me to do this but maybe I couldn't find the trick to do it.

If not then is there a similar feature in Framemaker to the text wrapping feature of Indesign?

The informational text+icon box on Indesign

Indesign.Text.Wrap.Around.Objects.jpg

The same informational text+icon box on Framemaker that I've created based on the above instruction (Adobe Framemaker Icons).

Framemaker.2.Column.Table.with.Image.in.the.First.Column.jpg

An informational text+icon box on Framemaker which has only one icon in the image cell. As you can see this format has much more width for the text cell.

Framemaker.2.Column.Table.with.a.Single.Image.in.the.First.Column.jpg

TOPICS
FAQ , Formatting and numbering , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM has a Table » Straddle capability across rows or columns. Sometimes I'll create more rows and/or columns than really needed, in order to get the layout desired via straddles. (How well this flows to HTML output, should that be the intent, is not something I've explored.)

FM also has Graphics » Run-Around Properties, but I've never found that it can do what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Cagataytech:

I work with both InDesign and FrameMaker on a daily basis so should be able to answer this, but I'm not clear on the question. Can you show (screen shot or just a sketch) of what you want? Or what it looked like in InDesign? We can get you there, once we understand.

~Barb 

P.S. I updated the reference page posts this morning with 2020 screen shots. 😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this what you are looking for?

~Barb 

mutliline.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, I did explain my concern in my reply to Winfried down below. What I'm trying to accomplish is not creating any unused white space inside the informational text boxes. When I use vertical or horizontal alignment for the icon cells/columns with your method then either some white/unused space gets created in the icon cell/columns or in the text cells/columns based on whichever is longer. In Indesign you can avoid any white/unused space inside these informational boxes when you wrap text around images. See the below screenshot.

Indesign.Wrap.Around.Text.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When you want what you have in your InDesign screenshot (three icons top left, text flowing around the icons), then put all icons into a common anchored frame. Set the anchored frame position in the Anchored Frame pod to "Run into Paragraph".

Then the text will flow around your anchored frame.

Is this what you want?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

Yes, this is exactly what I want to accomplish and I was able to achieve it today but then I lose the ability to reference specific table formats which utilize Paragraph Styles including anchored Pgf's from the "Reference Page" as described in Barb's article. In this case, I'll have to copy-paste the tables with specific icon sets from other pages in the document and then replace the text inside them. Barb's method enables us to call the tables with specific icon sets directly from the "Insert Table" command.

I also tried inserting the anchored frames from the "Reference Page" into a 1x1 table (Single Cell Table) but of course, the "Frame Above Pgf" and "Frame Below Pgf" commands do repeat these frames per each separate paragraph so it becomes impossible to insert a clean table text into these tables and also the image gets placed either under the pasted text or above it. I'm trying to create a "table title" + "anchored image frame" + "Table Text" whereas the text should run around the frame. This means at least 2 paragraphs in a single cell. See the below screenshot.

Btw, what does "Pgf" stand for? I couldn't find it in Adobe's online documentation. "Paragraph Graphics Something" ?

Framemaker.Single.Cell.Table.with.Run.Into.Paragraph.Anchored.Frame.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Btw, what does "Pgf" stand for?

Paragraph, usually (the "f' presumably a stand-in for "ph"). In other case it might be Paragraph Format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More on a side note, I'd like to throw this in here:

I'm not an expert in safety instruction regulations, but you might also want to approach this issue from a standards, safety, and legal perspective, and therefore from a corporate risk management perspective.

These kind of symbols, how the accompanying text should be structured, and how they should be visually presented, is defined in standards like IEEE-82079, ANSI Z535, EN 82079-1, DIN EN 82079-1, and so on. Not following them might result in serious legal and financial consequences in case someone gets hurt while using the (machine or what ever the product is).

For example ANSI Z535 defines the explosive safety sign like this:

Stefan-Gentz_0-1611334855508.jpeg

My suggestion would be to first approach it from that angle, talk to your legal department or a an external expert specialized on this, and them make sure that the information is formatted with the correct safety symbol, the information accompanying it is properly formulated, and the required formatting (especially in terms of making them stand out enough, etc.).

I'm not even sure if it's a good idea to merge three different levels of risk (danger, flammable, explosive) into one warning.

Saving on some "white space" might cost many million dollars, if this "thing" explodes and someone dies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

re: … safety instruction regulations …

Yep. The messages, icons and colors all need to be compliant.

For colors, see: ANSI Z535.1 Safety Colors in Frame

I have not been keeping up to date on this. One thing that I know has changed is that FM no longer pretends to be able to do Pantone colors (where they existed for the safety colors). The ANSI and/or ISO standards may have since been harmonized, and they may now specify colors in spaces more practical than Munsell; sRGB perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines