Highlighted

Does FrameMaker support the different line breaking rules in East-Asian languages?

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

East-Asian languages have line breaking rules of their own. Does FrameMaker support these different standards? I use Framemaker 12 to create various documents in English that are then translated into many languages. I'd like to make sure that line breaks are dealt with properly in those languages as well as in other languages, especially Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and Thai.

I'd like information on which languages are supported and for which versions of FrameMaker.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Does FrameMaker support the different line breaking rules in East-Asian languages?

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

East-Asian languages have line breaking rules of their own. Does FrameMaker support these different standards? I use Framemaker 12 to create various documents in English that are then translated into many languages. I'd like to make sure that line breaks are dealt with properly in those languages as well as in other languages, especially Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and Thai.

I'd like information on which languages are supported and for which versions of FrameMaker.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 10, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't do any localization, but wouldn't your translation service handle that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2018 0
May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your help file in FM12 - there's a topic about "Multilanguage authoring" that talks about line breaks...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answers. The help file mentions support for Asian characters, but does not mention anything about word wrap and line breaks.

Our translation services send MIF files that we convert into FM files. We take care of DTP ourselves, which is why I need to enquire support for line breaks into these languages.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2018 0
May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what my FM12 help says:

Typesetting rules

FrameMaker defines the typesetting rules for Chinese and Korean text in the Kumihan tables in the MIF file (see the MIF Reference online manual for details). The Kumihan specification defines the line-breaking rule and inter- character spacing rules for Japanese characters. FrameMaker has implemented similar rules for Chinese and Korean documents.

Asian hyphenation

A rule to prohibit certain characters from beginning a new line or ending a line is defined in the Kumihan table. You can customize the Kumihan table by modifying the table in MIF. See the Kumihan tables section in the MIF Reference online manual.

Spacing settings for Asian punctuation characters

The spacing settings for Asian punctuation characters, brackets, and so forth are defined in the Asian Punctuation text box in the Asian properties of the paragraph designer.

Western/Asian word spacing and Asian character spacing

These settings can be defined in the Asian properties of the paragraph designer. For details on spacing and punctuation settings, see the FrameMaker User Guide.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2018 0