• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

doing Book save as PDF - getting "Can't launch Acrobat Distiller to create a PDF File" running FM 7.1 on Win 10 with Acrobat 11 - what does this message mean ? How can this be resolved? I do get a TPS file which distills to PDF fine.

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does FM 7.1 find Distiller when doing a book save as?

Is this environment feasible, FM 7.1, Win 10, Acrobat 11 ?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm amazed that FM7.x even installs and runs in Win10 (I'm using 7.0 in an XP virtual machine on Win7).

You might need to print-to-file to .ps, then Distill separately. Don't forget to

• Generate Acrobat data.
  • Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,
    Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would likely need to install the version of Acrobat that worked with Fm7 (I would guess Acrobat 5) in order to get that function to work.

Since that's not likely what you want to do, then Bob's suggestion of creating .ps and distilling is the way to go.

See http://www.techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/  for best practices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses but since I have a TPS file , I can just run it through acrobat distiller and get the PDF file I need.

I actually have a C++ app that runs through several books at a time and creates the PDFs for them along with some other custom processing. This worked fine on Windows 7 even with Acrobat 11.

This all works except for the "save as PDF" part in Windows 10.

So I attempted the "Save as PDF" part with just the documents in the book opened and I get the error about not finding distiller.

I even had distiller running and still got the same problem.

This is distiller from Acrobat 11.

Does anyone know how FrameMaker 7.1 goes about finding distiller?

There must be someplace it looks or some setting it uses?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my experience, it's looking for a specific, earlier version of Distiller.

You're already doing what Bob and I suggest for your setup, and not likely to get Fm7 to identify the more recent version of Distiller.

If you do, please post so we can all benefit from your solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines