• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Double clicking image in FM doesn't open image in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to Framemaker 2019 and Illustrator version 23 (cloud based subscription). I used to be able to double click a referenced image in FM and it would open in Illustrator. Now it only opens if Illustrator is not open (and the double clicking from FM causes Illustrator to open and open my image.)  I end up either having to close Illustrator after every image edit so I can double click the next one from FM, or i have to be in Illustrator and do File - Open for every image. I just want to be able to double click from FM every time! I'm guessing it's just a setting in either FM or Illustrator but I can't figure it out. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to make sure that your version of FM2019 is up to date & if the situation persists, log a bug in the Tracker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elaine:

I just tested it with FrameMaker 2019 (v 15.0.3.603) and Illustrator CC (v 23.0.3) and it worked as expected. I'm not sure if the issue on your system is with FrameMaker or Illustrator—but you might try deleting preferences on both, which is quicker than an uninstall/reinstall.

FrameMaker: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-resetting-preferences/

Illustrator: How to set preferences in Illustrator

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Barb. Resetting preferences in both programs did not fix the problem. Got any other ideas? Reinstall both programs? Can I do that with a subscription? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to - neither one are running in the cloud, so you have installation media to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens, both with IL open and not, when you double-click the same image file in the file manager (Windows Explorer)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob.

It behaves the same was as if I was doing it from FM:

• If IL is closed, double clicking the .eps from Internet Explorer opens IL and opens the file. If I then double click a second image, nothing happens. Simply doesn't open the second image.
  • If IL is open (with or without other image files open), double clicking from IE does nothing.

Good thought though. Keep 'em coming!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elaine:

In that case, I'm now suspecting Illustrator. You can remove and reinstall with a CC subscription through the CC Desktop app. Be sure to click on Yes, Remove App Preferences when you uninstall.

Let us know how it goes!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Barb.

I uninstalled IL and removed preferences. Then reinstalled. Still same issue. Ugh! I guess I'll reinstall FM next, but I'm not feeling hopeful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem clearly isn't FM at this point. If it's not IL, then it might be the Windows file association itself.

You could right-click on the affected file, see what Mr.Bill is trying to do, and then perhaps just re-assign. It sort of looks like that Windows can tell the app is open, but might have lost track of where it's installed (or even the extact name of the executable).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Bob.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

I'm not sure what you mean by " see what Mr.Bill is trying to do, and then perhaps just re-assign." Can you explain further?

This isn't happening with one image file in particular...it's ANY image file (.eps and .png). Illustrator simply will not open a second file. Very frustrating. I'm thinking it must be a setting somewhere? Does the 64 bit vs 32 bit in FM affect how it interacts with IL? I'm just wild guessing at this point. I'm still able to do my job, but it sure takes a lot longer when you have to completely close IL every time. Or do File - Open in IL and drive to every image.

Thanks for the ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows File Explorer, look at the Windows File Associations for those types of files (the program Windows thinks it should use to open it) - that may be messed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elaine:

I read that line as referring to Bill Gates (co-founder, technology advisor and board member) of Microsoft—aka Mr. Bill. I am also thinking it's a Windows thing—that it happens in Explorer and not just in FrameMaker is a strong clue.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you guys for sticking with me on this.

When I right click on image file in Windows Explorer and choose Edit, IL will open and open my file. But it will not open a second image. Also, if I close the first image file, leaving IL open, it won't open another file.

My default app for viewing photos is set to IL.

And if I right click an image file and say Open with IL, and check the box to do that in the future, still same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just googled the symptoms and it revealed that a Windows Update has damaged these file association "launches" in the 1803 updates (and following). You might want to try a rollback to test if a particular one "fixes" it or you might want to "roll forward" by getting the new 2019 update that MS is rolling out and seeing they've got it fixed yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, may be fixed on KB4467682 (OS Build 17134.441)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Thank you!

But this is getting way too technical for me. I'm gonna have to involve IT now as I have no idea how to do a rollback or forward!

Thank you so much for your help. I'll let you know where it all shakes out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never really noticed it because I tend to open the application first & then load the file inside it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had IT help with this and it didn't fix the problem. I'm giving up at this point. I discovered that double clicking from Bridge opens multiple files in Illustrator, so I'm just going to have to change the way I work until I can spend more time troubleshooting again. Thanks for your help and ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. That might explain why when I double-click on Frame files in my xplorer2 program, they only open if FrameMaker is closed. Mystery solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other people reported that the selected file association would work once, but when they tried it again, it opened up something completely different - it was like Windows "forgot" what app to use for the specified file type (whoops)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, if Frame isn't already open, double-clicking on a file in Windows Explorer or xplorer2 starts FM and opens the file.

If Frame is already open and has a file open, double-clicking on a file in Windows Explorer or xplorer2 does nothing. It's been annoying. Sadly, updates to my work computer are not under my control.  We're on build 1809.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you where things work as they should, I'm just curious if you're on Windows 10? I moved to Windows 10 and got my cloud subscriptions for my Adobe products all at the same time...of course everything worked fine before.

I'm also having issues with file names for PDFs (document title set in Initial View of PDF shows instead of file name from Windows Explorer). I did figure out how to change it manually, but would like to know how to set in my PDF making settings in FM. I always made PDFs using File - Save as PDF. But maybe I should do File - Publish now?

I'm not a techy computer person at all, and troubleshooting this stuff is not my cup of tea...so is my gut that it's all Windows 10 related way off base?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elaine:

For those of you where things work as they should, I'm just curious if you're on Windows 10?

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 8.59.54 AM.png

But maybe I should do File - Publish now?

You can still use File > Save as PDF in Fm 2019, but note that you can no longer change the PDF output settings with that command. If you want to modify the output settings (i.e., preset name, compatibility, view options, page range, creating tagged PDF, marks & bleeds, security, etc.) you will need to do so via File > Publish. Once you change these settings, File > Save as PDF will use the current settings.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines