Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DropBox saves all FM autosave files

Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I've recently started using Dropbox and I've noticed that every one of my autosave files when using FM gets saved and stored in Dropbox. None of them get deleted. A document I just finished working now has 31 autosave files stored in Dropbox. I know I could turn off the autosave feature in FM, but it is really handy in the rare instances that I forget to save myself. Is there any other resolution? It seems FM and Dropbox are not playing together well in this area. Also, the autosave files that FM creates do not fall within the standard scheme of file names that Dropbox automatically ignores.

Any solutions or ideas would be welcome!

Adam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Morrisonaj:

I work directly on dropbox for my InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator projects, but have found that it just doesn't work with FrameMaker. When I update a book, the files break. My solution is to work on Fm projects on my local drive—with a back-up drive attached that backs up automatically every hour—and then I copy the Fm project folder to dropbox at the end of each day.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. At least I know others are having problems as well. Most of my larger documents are on a non-Dropbox drive as well, but I do commonly have some smaller documents that get worked directly in the Dropbox file system. I may just have to turn off the auto-save and remember to save often since Dropbox already saves every version and keeps it available for a few months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the file history is a great feature of dropbox.

But then watch out for the chapters when you update your book. I learned Fm generates temp files with numbers when updating, and these get left behind on dropbox and the links break. You can put them back together, but it wasn't worth if for me.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been experiencing the same problem you described when building some books in Dropbox folders. This is a pretty uncommon workflow for me, but it does happen occasionally. So it appears that the problems with Dropbox and FM are pretty widespread across different aspects of the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines