• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit with Illustrator file association

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though I have the latest version of Illustrator, my external graphic illustrator does not. So I have continued to use Illustrator CS6 to edit my imported vector images, which are eps format.

Recently, something in FM changed (probably an update from Adobe) so that it now opens Illustrator 2015 when I double click the eps image. This only occurs in FM (still using FM10). My Windows file manager still has it's file association with my desired version of Illustrator.

I searched the maker.ini file for Illustrator and the eps file extension but they all seemed to be related to imports.

Any ideas where I can associate the executable of the "Edit with Illustrator" command to the version I want?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know with RH & Word versions, it’s whatever the last version executed that determines what RH thinks is out there; perhaps FM works the same way. Test it by starting up your older version of Illustrator, then start FM & try the OLE connection (ps – that method of working is now fairly deprecated by both Microsoft & Adobe)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's in the actual EPS files?

You can open them with a plaintext editor, like Notepad.

The problem might be due to content like:
%%Creator: Adobe Illustrator(R) 15.0

%%AI8_CreatorVersion: 15.0.2

%ADO_BuildNumber: Adobe Illustrator(R) 15.0.2

Opening and re-saving it in an older AI version should reset that metadata (I just tried it with AI 10).

Of course, FM may not be taking clues from that metadata at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about missing the posts - just got my spam summary.

Jeff: It doesn't remember the last used application. I don't normally use the CC2015 version, but it still opens. I open the CS6 version and navigate to the file, which I can do (when I don't forget and simply double click on the file).

Bob: It's not drawing from the metadata as it lists

%%Creator: Adobe Illustrator(R) 16.2

which is the CS6 version.

Both good ideas I hadn't thought of. I'm thinking it's embedded in some plugin somewhere. I find it surprising that the issue hasn't been discussed anywhere before, so it's probably something that doesn't need to be addressed as I'm the only one with this odd workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned, OLE stuff is waaay out of fashion these days ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your original message is confusing. On one hand, you say that FrameMaker

"now opens Illustrator 2015 when I double click the eps image." Then,

later in the message, you are asking about associating an executable

with the "Edit with Illustrator" command, presumably the right-click

context menu command. Double clicking a graphic and choosing a menu

command are two different things. Which is giving you the problem? Or both?

(Note also that the Edit with... commands for Illustrator and Photoshop

are greyed out on my copy of FM 10. If I remember right, they are only

workable in the full Tech Comm Suite in FM 10.)

In your most recent post, you ask if there is a plugin which can change

the graphics editor. If you installed the WS Utilities plugin from West

Street Consulting, they add an "Open with Illustrator" (that's "Open,"

not "Edit," as built into FM) context menu item that lets you set the

third party editor. Perhaps you have installed this utility and set the

third party program? If so, right-click on an EPS graphic in FrameMaker

and find this context menu entry: "Open This Graphic (Please Click

Me!)." It will let you open the settings file where you can change the

third party programs that open graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Didn't mean to be confusing. There are two different instances that I am surprised at that appear to be handled differently. When I click on an image within Framemaker (and yes, I have the TCS suite), it opens Illustrator 2015. When I navigate to the same eps file using a file manager and click on the file, it opens Illustrator CS6, which is what I want to open.

I do have the WS Utilities installed, but I've only used it for table management. With your suggestion, I was able to go into that settings file, add the command line to my desired version of Illustrator and it works. It's not quite as simple as double-clicking the image, but it's really close. If I remember to right click, I can get where I want.

And I may have to be a bit more aware of the WS Utilities. There may be some more in there that I should be using. Thank you for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines