Exit

EPS images cause PDF errors

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certain (not all) EPS images in a book cause the following Distiller error:

%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: pdfmark; ErrorInfo: PUT nextImage ]%%

After removing the images from the anchored frames the PDF can be generated again, so the error is quite surely tied to the images. Do you have any recommendations/experiences when working with EPS images?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this sometimes when creating tagged PDF. Go into the PDF Setup in the tab "Tags" and check if "Generate Tagged PDF" is on. If so, turn it off and try again.
If this does not help, you might need to check the EPS file. There might be something corrupted in the file. Sometimes opening it in Illustrator and exporting it again helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of FM?

What version of what app created or last wrote the offending EPS files?

EPS can include a wide variety of content (text, vector, raster, in various color models), plus the optional preview/thumbnail in various formats. Not all versions of FM necessarily know how to handle all possible EPS content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is FM12. The EPS are embedded in the FM file which was generated by a Cosima implementation (perhaps 4.1 but I am not sure).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The EPS are embedded in the FM file…

That's not a great idea, for multiple reasons, one of which already confronts you.

I'd be tempted to save out those images to .eps files, open and re-save them in Illustrator, then import them in back by reference. If you don't have Illustrator, you could use the 30-day trial to see if this fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rfsl: As Bob Niland said, embedding images is usually not a good idea. Seconded. I'm surprised Cosima did something like this. They usually know better.

Are all graphics embedded or just some (like, let's say a graphic on the master page like a company logo)?

You might want to use > View > Pods > Insets to get an idea of all graphic insets.

Have you checked the tagged PDF option, I mentioned above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2015 Dec 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved - I installed Foxit reader (a free PDF viewer/generator) which works like a charm.

Thanks for all your thoughts, I tried almost everything I found here and in other discussions that cover similar problems without success (except re-importing which would be just too much effort every time a new PDF-output must be created).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What does "The EPS are embedded in the FM file…" mean?

Are the EPS files imported as objects (bad)?

Or as referenced files (good)?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They are embedded (part of the document), not referenced. Nothing can be changed the way the PDFs are created, there are many flaws and that fact that the images are embedded is just one of them. However causing the Distiller to crash was a major showstopper, I am glad that it works now albeit with a different tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines