• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error Message: Although this appears to be a framemaker document, it can't be opened...

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened to me many times: I open a document from a previosu version of FM (version 11) and I save the file as FM 2020. When I go to reopen the document, it gives me the error message:

Although this appears to be a framemaker document, it can't be opened with this release of the product.

This is a serious bug! Please fix as soon as possible!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Hi,

As Klaus already said this dialog appears, when you try to open a file from a newer version (e.g. 2020) with an earlier version (e.g. 11).

As I understand your e-mail you opened an FM 11 file with FM 2020 and saved it there. Then you closed the file and opened it again with FM 2020, and then you got this error message. Is this correct?

Was it really FM 2020 with which you tried to open the file?

Which FrameMaker version starts, when you double-click any FM file?

When you open the FM file i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This message should only appear if you are in FM < 16 (aka 2020) and try to open an fm-16 file.

To circumvent, you may try this:

• Have any file open before you do
  • type ESC o H (heroic Open) to get the file dialogue
  • Select the file to be opened.

I have only recently discovered that HO can be used in this manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Paul5FA8 - you realize that this is a user-to-user forum, right? If you want to report something to Adobe use the Tracker (https://tracker.adobe.com/) or e-mail techcomm@adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As Klaus already said this dialog appears, when you try to open a file from a newer version (e.g. 2020) with an earlier version (e.g. 11).

As I understand your e-mail you opened an FM 11 file with FM 2020 and saved it there. Then you closed the file and opened it again with FM 2020, and then you got this error message. Is this correct?

Was it really FM 2020 with which you tried to open the file?

Which FrameMaker version starts, when you double-click any FM file?

When you open the FM file in a text editor, what's the first line? When the file is a FM 2020 file, then the file should start with: <MakerFile 16.0>

Did your issue occur only once? Always with a specific file? What is special? Or with any file?

When you are sure that you did not make any mistakes, then create a bug report here:

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/home

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah it was my mistake. I didn't knwo that I had Framemaker 2019 still installed. So it was a case of trying to open a FM 2020 file with FM 2019.

Again, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines