• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error "Could not open document because it uses unavailable fonts"

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using unstructured FrameMaker 15 on Windows 10. I am getting this error. I tried opening all the documents in the book and saving them. I tried unchecking "Remember Missing Font Names" in Preferences and unchecking the "File contains unavailable fonts" alert in Preferences.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

It sounds like the fonts message is preventing you from opening the files when importing.

Are you opening your docs prior to importing? If not, do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Console telling you what fonts it's having an issue with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There aren't any fonts coming up in the font pod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I meant in the FM Console window that appears when you open the problem doc - you may have it turned off in your FM Prefs - it's the "Show File Translation Errors"' flag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "show file translation errors" is checked and I do get a window, but it just lists every document in my book and says "could not open document because it uses unavailable fonts." It doesn't list the fonts at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's letting you open docs or not? Also what version of FM are you running & is it completely up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it lets me open the docs, but when I apply our doc template to the whole book, that's when I get the error window with that message. Version 13. 0.2.433 and I think it is. We don't have FrameMaker through the creative cloud though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you don't get any warnings about fonts when opening a doc, just when you try importing [what] from another doc that is your template?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, no errors come up when I'm opening the documents. Sorry I was mistaken, the error window only comes up when I'm trying to run chapter or page numbering on any of the documents. No errors come up when I'm applying our template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it DOES give me the error page and says "could not open doc because it uses unavailable fonts" when I try to import the template or run numbering on multiple documents at once. When I import the template on one document, I don't get any errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be tempted to go through them one at a time to find the offending doc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the fonts message is preventing you from opening the files when importing.

Are you opening your docs prior to importing? If not, do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried opening every document in the book and then applying the template and it worked with no errors. I also tried numbering the documents and it worked with no errors. Normally I don't have to have every document open that I'm working with, but this worked well to get around the font error, especially since I see no issue with the fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Remember that any dialog that appears when opening a doc will prevent processing like updating your book, importing formats, or producing print or digital output.

As Jeff will tell you, it'll also wreak havoc on updating FrameMaker to RoboHelp projects.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by updating to 13.0.5 (free update, via Help menu or Fm updater page)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines