• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

exchanging .fm files with dropbox Iloose all images. How can I avoid this?

Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to work together with my colluague in Germany, we can exchange the .fm file via dropbox. But then FM can't find the images and saves the file at the end without them.

Opening the file on my pc I see only grey frames instead of the pictures. As it is a catalogue with hundreds of pictures, it is impossible to put them in again one after the other.

Is there any possibility to avoid this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m assuming you’re adding those images by reference (instead of embedding them), so where are they expecting to find them? Clearly they must not be in a spot that’s accessible by both of you..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick answer.

I thought, that FM would find the pictures automaticly when the file is open on the pc whith the references. The catalogue has 90 pages and is already very big. Embedding all images it would be too big I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Embedding is usually NOT the way to go; but to have the images appear in the doc, it needs to be able to see the location where the images are. If the images “live” in Germany, how are you expecting to see them when you bring the file over to your location? I’m guessing that the person in Germany has no issues with seeing the images, right? If that’s the case, then you would need them to send the images over also (in the same spot relative to the doc in the file structure).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colleague in Germany is working on MY pc while I am in Italy (in our office here , several times a year). So he has the same images at the same place in Germany as I have here in Italy. The path is exactly the same. That's why I thought it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should – try picking one image and relinking it; does it fix all the rest? If not, try saving the file as .MIF and look inside to see where it thinks the images should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution!!!

When I opended the file from Dropbox in FrameMaker it had of course the path of Dropbox. So I only had to move it from Dropbox in the usual folder ... and every think is ok!!!! My fault, I didn't think of it ! :-((

Thank you again for your help! 🙂

Margot-Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you figured it out – I tend to treat Dropbox as a transfer medium, not a location like they would have you use it; therefore, I didn’t even consider you might be using the file while it was still in the Dropbox folder!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are right!  Nor did I really ......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines