Hi. I've set up a runningnhead using the variable Running H/F 2. The heading1 content that appears in the body of the page contains the chapter number and some text. I would like the running head to just include the text of the chapter title and exclude the chapter number. Is there a way I can exclude part of the Heading1 content from the running head?
Day 1 - Oxfordshire
Day 2 - Oxfordshire to Buckinghjamshire
I would like to have the running head include just the county names and exclude the 'Day X -'
FYI I've been away from unstructured Frame for many years and I'm having to relearn so I'm trying to keep it simple. I haven't used the chapter numbering option as I want to keep the whole of the book in a single file to avoid having to copy formats each time I make a change. I would like to avoid setting up lots of variables.
This is using FrameMaker 10.
Please post the definition of your Running H/F 2 variable format.
Hi. Thanks for ther quick response. As far as I know everything is set to default. To be honest I'm not sure what I did and I stumbled across it as it is now.
OK, so how is your Heading1 paragraph format defined? Is that the paragraph that gives you Day 1 -, Day 2 -? If not, replace Heading1 in the definition with the paragraph format you are using for the Day paragraphs. Now if the Day 1 - string is defined as an autonumber, then you should be all set. If the Day 1 - string is typed into the paragraph, then you are out of luck.
Correction: you are not out of luck :-). I am sorry for my pessimism. There is usually a workaround.
You could create two Heading 1 styles, such as:
Set the DayNum style to be a Run-in heading under pagination, and set the next stile to be the Heading1_Title style. Use both styles in the document pages.
Set your Running H/F 2 to <$paratext[Heading1_Title]>
(Technically, you could leave the second style as just Heading1 so you don't have to edit the H/F, but I like the clarity of renaming the style.)
Hi, Sorry for the delay, hectic life. I appreciate the input.
I did have another attempt and found that by putting numbering on the Heading1 style expressed as:
'Day <n+> - Oxfordshire'
'Day <n+> - Oxfordshire to Buckinghjamshire'
It renders as follows:
'Day 1 - Oxfordshire'
The header above renders as 'Oxfordshire'
'Day 2 - Oxfordshire to Buckinghjamshire'
The header above renders as 'Oxfordshire to Buckinghjamshire'
The header just ignores everything up to and including the dash. This is all good except that I can't see a way of not including the header on the first page of a chapter (because I havn't broken it out into separate chapters). So on the first page of a chapter I get Oxford twice.
I know I really should break it out into chapters but I havn't got the final manuscript back yet so it would be a pain to have to run it into 39 separate chapters instead of just the one as I currently have and then just assign the headings again.
I'm going to have a look at your solution IDEAS-Training and see if I can understand it. I'm really rusty having not played with unstructured Frame for about 10 years so it might take me a while to implement your solution. 🙂