• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ExtendScript Toolkit Alternative

Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using the ExtendScript Toolkit for FrameMaker on Windows 10. The performance is disappointing when I run a script from the Toolkit for development, testing, etc. There is always a delay and Not Responding after the script finishes. Is anyone using any alternative IDEs and are they interactive like ES Toolkit is? If so, any directions on setting things up would be appreciated. Thank you.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rick for putting this on the table. I thought that this is because of other scripts also "running" at the same time... But even with no automatically started scripts ESZK has an awful performance. Switching off the Data Browser does help a Little only...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Klaus, How do you turn off the data browser? Thanks. -Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to use the ExtendScript Debugger for Visual Studio Code which is published by Adobe. It works very well once you get it configured correctly, but I've never really felt comfortable using it. I believe it's Adobe's recommended development environment for Extendscript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

«I believe it's Adobe's recommended development environment for Extendscript.»

If so, the ExtendScript Debugger (current version 1.1.2) should not remain in beta state as it is noted in several places on the net. My first steps today led me into a problem, which could not be solved by restarting FM, restarting VSC. I can not get rid of the message

VSC-error.jpg

This happened after multiple successful runs of a script with included files

#target framemaker → // @Target framemaker

#include xxx → //@include xxx

I'm missing a pdf documentation of VSC - I want to study in advance offline with my iPad...

Still to be acquainted with this environment...

Edit after submit:

After writing this I went back to VSC, opened my script and  executed it without problems...

Debugging is OK, inserting breakpoint ($.bp(condition) and stepping works as in ESTK. Variable display is good - there is however no

• OMV
  • Functions/Auto-Completion

(which is noted in the docu).

My personal taste of syntax highlighting is not yet met ... And of course some editor functions are completely different to what I'm familiar with EditPad Plus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Klaus,

I don't see where it claims to be a beta release...

The missing OMV is dissapointing. I don't know if we'll ever see it implemented. I found the general usability for code editing significantly better than the ESTK once everything is working. However, project or individual script set-up is unnecessarily complex so I have found myself going back to the ESTK recently.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

After I spoke with you I started using VS Code to learn JavaScript with the Emmit plugins. I found it very helpfull with the learning process!

Regards,

Sam  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sam. Have you actually used it with ExtendScript and FrameMaker yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Yes. But you have to remember to use var instead of let and const for variables.

I realized that I needed to get more up to speed with JavaScript so I'm learning write the code in VS Code and save it with the .jsx extention. Then I copy the code into ExtendScript.

I'm still in the learning stages but it's starting to make more sense now that I understand Objects, Properties and Methods better!

Regards,

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines