Highlighted

extra spaces in generated files

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I generate LOF or LOT files, they are picking up an extra space between the autonumber entry "Figure 1-1" and the typed period following, like this: "Figure 1-1 ."  Here is an actual entry:

Figure 1-1 . Model 3800 Tachometer Test Set with Accessories

The actual figure captions have only the word "Figure" and the sequence number, as in "F:Figure <$chapnum>-<n+>".  There is no space added there.  And I manually insert a period, then a space, after the autonumbered entry when I type the figure title.

Where is the extra space coming from?

Have you looked at the reference page for the LOR/LOT? a stray space may somehow have snuck its way between the <$paranum> and <$paratext> building blocks.

An observation – you don't necessarily have to type in the full stop and space after the autonumber: you can include this in the autonumber definition. My standard figcap, for example, uses F:Figure <n+>.\t to follow the counter with a full stop and a tab.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

extra spaces in generated files

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I generate LOF or LOT files, they are picking up an extra space between the autonumber entry "Figure 1-1" and the typed period following, like this: "Figure 1-1 ."  Here is an actual entry:

Figure 1-1 . Model 3800 Tachometer Test Set with Accessories

The actual figure captions have only the word "Figure" and the sequence number, as in "F:Figure <$chapnum>-<n+>".  There is no space added there.  And I manually insert a period, then a space, after the autonumbered entry when I type the figure title.

Where is the extra space coming from?

Have you looked at the reference page for the LOR/LOT? a stray space may somehow have snuck its way between the <$paranum> and <$paratext> building blocks.

An observation – you don't necessarily have to type in the full stop and space after the autonumber: you can include this in the autonumber definition. My standard figcap, for example, uses F:Figure <n+>.\t to follow the counter with a full stop and a tab.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 12, 2015 0
Advisor ,
Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2015 0
dwpwrite LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your first observation was correct.  There was an extra space in the building block.  Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2015 0