• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Figure reference updating

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have searched, I have watched tutorials and I still cannot find a solution to updating my "Figure x" captions when creating a book.

I created a new paragraph tag. My figure paragraph is F:Figure <n+>

I am using anchored frames.

If I create a page called Duck and add an image of a duck with a Figure caption, it will say Figure 1. If I create a page called Dog and I add two images of a dog captioned Figure 1 and Figure 2, they will auto number. If I wanted to add a third dog image it will place a Figure 3. When I create a book with these two separate pages, how do I get Dog page captions to update from Figure 1 and Figure 2 to Figure 2 and to Figure 3.

My page numbers are updating, my TOC will update when I select the proper updates.

I have been trying to contact my Adobe Account Manager but they will not get back to me with my questions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Justin,

Two steps. In brief,

1. Set the paragraph numbering in your documents to continue numbering from the previous file in the book.

2. Update the book.

In more detail:

1. Set paragraph numbering:

a. In the book window, select the files that do or can contain figures.

b. Use Format > Document > Numbering to bring up the Document Numbering pod.

c. Click the Paragraph tab.

d. Click the Continue Numbering from Previous File in Book radio button.

e. Click Set.

f. S

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your "Adobe Account Manager" is probably a sales guy so don't count on them. I don't know enough about Figure autonumbering (don't really use images in much of my FM content & certainly don't use captions), but I would expect that this is set at the book level. What have you tried at that point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Justin,

Two steps. In brief,

1. Set the paragraph numbering in your documents to continue numbering from the previous file in the book.

2. Update the book.

In more detail:

1. Set paragraph numbering:

a. In the book window, select the files that do or can contain figures.

b. Use Format > Document > Numbering to bring up the Document Numbering pod.

c. Click the Paragraph tab.

d. Click the Continue Numbering from Previous File in Book radio button.

e. Click Set.

f. Save the book.

Note 1: This option continues all paragraph numbering across files. If you have other number sequences that you want to reset at the start of files, you will need a variation of the paragraph format that uses those other sequences to do so.

Note 2:  Document numbering properties are stored both in a document and in a book. A particular FM file can be used both as a standalone document and as a component of a book. The properties stored in the document are used for standalone documents; those stored in the book are used for book components.

2. To update the book, from the book window, use Edit > Update Book. Part of the update process is to reset the document numbering properties in each book component according to the specified options.

Note: Properties set to continue from previous files are not reset until you update the book. Suppose, for instance, that the first book component has 10 pages and 3 figures and you have specified that both page numbers and paragraph numbers should continue from the previous file. When you update the book, the first page in the second file will be numbered 11 and the first figure will be numbered 4. If you edit the first file, inserting enough content to add 2 pages and also removing one figure, the second file will still start on page 11 and its first figure will still be numbered 4. As soon as you update the book again, though the second file will start on page 13 and its first figure will be numbered 3.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ugh. I cannot believe it could be that simple. I knew there had to be an easy way.

Thank you both for replying and helping.

Lynne - that worked perfectly. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines